* A couple of distribution proposals
@ 1997-09-06 10:06 Kamil Iskra
From: Kamil Iskra @ 1997-09-06 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

1. Could you please arrange to include the output of "brik" in snapshots,
the way it is done in the gcc2 snapshots? For people like me, who apply
the diff files instead of getting complete snapshots, this makes it
possible to ensure that what they have are still the original sources.

2. How about generating the "*.info*" files in the build directory? I
hate when a plain "make" modifies my source dir, and I'm sure many others
have the same opinion. (I'm willing to contribute the necessary patches).

/ Kamil Iskra - AMIGA 1200, 68030 50MHz, HDD 1.6 GB, 18 MB RAM \
| iskra@student.uci.agh.edu.pl  kiskra@ernie.icslab.agh.edu.pl |
| http://student.uci.agh.edu.pl/~iskra                         |
\ PGP public key available via Finger or WWW                   /

* Re: A couple of distribution proposals
@ 1997-09-07  9:36 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-09-07  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kamil Iskra; +Cc: egcs

  In message < Pine.LNX.3.95.970906184732.627F-100000@penguin.home >you write:

  > 1. Could you please arrange to include the output of "brik" in snapshots,
  > the way it is done in the gcc2 snapshots? For people like me, who apply
  > the diff files instead of getting complete snapshots, this makes it
  > possible to ensure that what they have are still the original sources.
It should appear in the next snapshot.  There'll be a single toplevel
,brik for the entire egcs distribution which will be included in all the
.tar.gz files.

diffs for the ,brik file will be included in the .diff.gz files.

Let me know if they don't appear or something about them is wrong.

  > 2. How about generating the "*.info*" files in the build directory? I
  > hate when a plain "make" modifies my source dir, and I'm sure many others
  > have the same opinion. (I'm willing to contribute the necessary patches).
It's been discussed.  I'm not sure if we reached a decision.

My vote is to put them in the objdir.

However, it's worth noting that the GNU coding standards explicitly
state that info files should be in the source directory...

Jeff

* Re: A couple of distribution proposals
@ 1997-09-09  3:51   ` Kamil Iskra
From: Kamil Iskra @ 1997-09-09  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: egcs

On Sun, 7 Sep 1997, Jeffrey A Law wrote:

>   > 1. Could you please arrange to include the output of "brik" in snapshots,
> It should appear in the next snapshot.

Thanks. It did appear.

> There'll be a single toplevel
> ,brik for the entire egcs distribution which will be included in all the
> .tar.gz files.

Fine with me.

> Let me know if they don't appear or something about them is wrong.

There is something wrong, indeed. Here's the output of "brik -C ,brik" for
egcs-970907:

brik: error: ./gcc/config/v850/lib1funcs.asm: No such file or directory
brik: error: ./gcc/config/v850/t-v850: No such file or directory
brik: error: ./gcc/config/v850/v850.c: No such file or directory
brik: error: ./gcc/config/v850/v850.h: No such file or directory
brik: error: ./gcc/config/v850/v850.md: No such file or directory
brik: error: ./gcc/config/v850/xm-v850.h: No such file or directory
brik: error: ./libio/include/empty.h: No such file or directory

My sources orginate from egcs-970825, after applying all the subsequent
patches. There's no "v850" directory at all - the files should have
appeared in the 970904-970907 diff, I believe. I can't find any trace of
the "libio/include/empty.h" file - I'd guess it appeared in the 970907, as
well, as that's when libio was updated. Anyway, I tried to substitute it
with an empty file (after all, it's "empty.h" :-), but apparently the name
is a bit misleading, for brik was not happy with the substitution :-).

>   > 2. How about generating the "*.info*" files in the build directory?
> However, it's worth noting that the GNU coding standards explicitly
> state that info files should be in the source directory...

They also state that info files should be included in the distribution...
When you brake one rule, you often have to brake some more, to make
everything consistent...

BTW: I ran "du -s" on the original egcs-970904 and one with "texinfo"
directory removed, but with the ".info" files included. Just opposite to
what was said here before, the original one was *larger*. Any comments?

@ 1997-09-09  8:52     ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1997-09-09  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iskra; +Cc: law, egcs

> >> 1. Could you please arrange to include the output of "brik" in snapshots,

A stupid question:

Speaking of brik, could someone send a pointer to the source?  I've
searched the usual places but have come up empty (other than finding
a few www pages that mention it but don't point to the source).

* Re: A couple of distribution proposals
@ 1997-09-09 12:52       ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-09-09 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Buck; +Cc: iskra, egcs

  In message < 199709091551.IAA27463@atrus.synopsys.com >you write:

  > Speaking of brik, could someone send a pointer to the source?  I've
  > searched the usual places but have come up empty (other than finding
  > a few www pages that mention it but don't point to the source).
# The brik utility can be found on uunet (ftp.uu.net) in the directory
# ~usenet/comp.sources.misc/volume7/brik2 as the compressed shar files
# part01.Z, part02.Z, and part03.Z.  After retrieving and unpacking these,
# you build brik in unix environments by renaming the file "makefile.nix"
# to "makefile" and issuing the command "make sys_v" or "make bsd" as
# appropriate (see install).