* Re: GCC 10.2 Released
@ 2020-12-23 10:49 FX
From: FX @ 2020-12-23 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rguenther; +Cc: gcc, Iain Sandoe

Hi all,

The gcc 10.2 release was 5 months ago today. A lot has happened in the gcc-10 branch since, in particular on aarch64. Could a new release be issued? It would make efforts at maintaining patches on top of the gcc-10 branch easier, in particular in view of the release of aarch64-apple-darwin machines.

Cheers,
FX

* Re: GCC 10.2 Released
@ 2020-12-23 13:29 ` Martin Liška
From: Martin Liška @ 2020-12-23 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: FX, rguenther; +Cc: gcc, Iain Sandoe

On 12/23/20 11:49 AM, FX via Gcc wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The gcc 10.2 release was 5 months ago today. A lot has happened in the gcc-10 branch since, in particular on aarch64. Could a new release be issued? It would make efforts at maintaining patches on top of the gcc-10 branch easier, in particular in view of the release of aarch64-apple-darwin machines.

Hello.

I understand your situation, but based on our release schedule, please expect 10.3 to
be released at the beginning of March 2021, similarly to what we did for 9.3 and 8.3:

GCC 9.3 release (2020-03-12)
GCC 8.3 release (2019-02-22)

as seen here:
https://gcc.gnu.org/develop.html

Note that making a release consumes some cycles mainly for release managers.

Thanks for understanding,
Martin

> Cheers,
> FX

* Re: GCC 10.2 Released
@ 2020-12-23 14:06   ` Iain Sandoe
From: Iain Sandoe @ 2020-12-23 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: FX; +Cc: Richard Biener, gcc, Martin Liška

  FX,

Martin Liška <mliska@suse.cz> wrote:

> On 12/23/20 11:49 AM, FX via Gcc wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> The gcc 10.2 release was 5 months ago today. A lot has happened in the
>> gcc-10 branch since, in particular on aarch64. Could a new release be
>> issued? It would make efforts at maintaining patches on top of the
>> gcc-10 branch easier, in particular in view of the release of
>> aarch64-apple-darwin machines.
>
> Hello.
>
> I understand your situation, but based on our release schedule, please
> expect 10.3 to
> be released at the beginning of March 2021, similarly to what we did for
> 9.3 and 8.3:
>
> GCC 9.3 release (2020-03-12)
> GCC 8.3 release (2019-02-22)
>
> as seen here:
> https://gcc.gnu.org/develop.html
>
> Note that making a release consumes some cycles mainly for release
> managers.
>
> Thanks for understanding,

[FAOD I am not disagreeing with what you say, I personally have quite a
backlog of backports for 10.x, not to mention fixes to make to coroutines
that should also be applied there… ]

Nevertheless:

We have an unusual situation in that we have:
  - a major OS release that has  incompatible numbering with the preceding ones.
  - a new architecture to support (which will not be ‘official’ in 10.x even if, by some miracle, it’s ready for 11).

So I think it might be possible to help the Darwin ‘downstreams’ by making
the equivalent of a “vendor” branches for Darwin - in this case [for open
branches] based on some arbitrary point in time (e.g. 1.1.2021) rather than
on a GCC dot release.

For the closed branches that we want to be able to build on Darwin20, the
base can be the last dot release.

Those branches could live in users/darwin or vendors/darwin .. (we kinda
started discussing that on irc one day) - I guess I don’t have a big axe to
grind on which [but it’s probably better in one of those, than under my
user or on github].

It would be clear that this is Darwin-specific [branch name amended, for
example] (i.e. that test coverage was concentrated on the platform).

This would not be something I’d want to make a habit of - as Martin says
(even for regular maintainers) release cycles chew a lot of time and
resources in wider testing.

Open to other suggestions, of course,
Iain

* Re: GCC 10.2 Released
@ 2020-12-23 14:25   ` Richard Biener
From: Richard Biener @ 2020-12-23 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Liška, FX; +Cc: gcc, Iain Sandoe

On December 23, 2020 2:29:48 PM GMT+01:00, "Martin Liška" <mliska@suse.cz> wrote:
>On 12/23/20 11:49 AM, FX via Gcc wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The gcc 10.2 release was 5 months ago today. A lot has happened in
>the gcc-10 branch since, in particular on aarch64. Could a new release
>be issued? It would make efforts at maintaining patches on top of the
>gcc-10 branch easier, in particular in view of the release of
>aarch64-apple-darwin machines.
>
>Hello.
>
>I understand your situation, but based on our release schedule, please
>expect 10.3 to
>be released at the beginning of March 2021, similarly to what we did
>for 9.3 and 8.3:
>
>GCC 9.3 release (2020-03-12)
>GCC 8.3 release (2019-02-22)

Since 10.2 was comparatively early we can see to do 10.3 end of January or begin of February. Note that the advantage of aligning more with 11.1 is that most of the stage 4 fixes apply to 10.x as well.

Richard.

>as seen here:
>https://gcc.gnu.org/develop.html
>
>Note that making a release consumes some cycles mainly for release
>managers.
>
>Thanks for understanding,
>Martin
>

>> Cheers,
>> FX

* Re: GCC 10.2 Released
@ 2020-07-23 11:20     ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2020-07-23 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ireng ajah; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 at 12:19, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 at 09:34, ireng ajah via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi..
> >
> > Can you remove my email from your list?
>
> No, you have to do it yourself. See
> https://gcc.gnu.org/lists.html#subscribe for instructions.

I followed those simple instructions and sent an unsubscribe request
for you. Just click on the link in the email.

* Re: GCC 10.2 Released
@ 2020-07-23 11:19   ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2020-07-23 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ireng ajah; +Cc: gcc