* ANSI C++
@ 1997-11-24 23:54 Lothar Werzinger
From: Lothar Werzinger @ 1997-11-24 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I downloaded the Snapshot from 971114 and trued to compile a program
that uses the new features of ANSI C++

 -- #includes with no '.h'
 -- namespaces
 -- the new iostream library.

and it failed to compile, as the iostream library is still the old one.
So my question is: Is there already a new iostream library for the gnu
compiler that works as described in the ANSI draft?

Lothar

--

KRONES AG
Hermann Kronseder Maschinenfabrik

Lothar Werzinger Dipl.-Ing.Univ.
Dept.  EW
Phone: +49-(0)9401/70-3499
Fax:   +49-(0)9401/70-3091
Email: lwerzinger@krones.de

* Re: ANSI C++
@ 1997-11-25 11:44 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1997-11-25 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lothar Werzinger; +Cc: egcs

> I downloaded the Snapshot from 971114 and trued to compile a program
> that uses the new features of ANSI C++
>
>  -- #includes with no '.h'

This is implemented for some headers but not for others.  Several folks
have donated patches to provide the missing ones, but it seems the patches
haven't been accepted.

>  -- namespaces

Namespaces are not implemented, except that

using namespace std;

is accepted and ignored, so that ANSI/ISO programs that use it will build
(but the standard classes are really in the global namespace).

>  -- the new iostream library.

This has not been done yet.

> and it failed to compile, as the iostream library is still the old one.
> So my question is: Is there already a new iostream library for the gnu
> compiler that works as described in the ANSI draft?

I understand that someone has written one, but it's not going to be ready
for the first egcs release.

* Re: ANSI C++
@ 1997-11-25 19:56 ` Olivier Galibert
From: Olivier Galibert @ 1997-11-25 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

On Tue, Nov 25, 1997 at 07:37:46PM +0100, Dietmar.Kuehl@asa.iZB-Soft.de wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >So my question is: Is there already a new iostream library for the gnu
> >compiler that works as described in the ANSI draft?
>
> No. Partially, this is because there can't be such a library because the
> GNU compiler does not work as the one described in the C++ FDIS
> (final draft international standard, approved on Nov 14th at the joint
> ANSI/ISO meeting in Morristown, NJ).

What is missing besides namespaces ?

  OG.