* egcs & bzip2
@ 1997-12-06 10:32 Julian Seward
From: Julian Seward @ 1997-12-06 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: Julian_Seward

Congratulations on egcs-1.0; looks good (and a lot of hard work :-)

I was pleased to see you using bzip2 to distribute it.  A couple
of small things, re your page
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/egcs/releases/index.html:

-- Perhaps put a link to http://www.muraroa.demon.co.uk
   where people can pick up pre-compiled versions?  Or mirror
   them yourself?  Saves people the hassle of compiling it,
   at least for some platforms.

-- I was alarmed to read: "gcc-2.7 for linux will mis-compile bzip2
   if you use the optimizer; make sure to turn off the optimizer when
   building bzip2 with gcc-2.7."

   Can you be a little more specific?  Is this gcc-2.7.0, or 2.7.X, or
   what?  I've bzip2'd several thousand MB on x86-linux with 2.7.2
   with no problems at all.  I presume it works ok on egcs-1.0 :-)

Thanks!

* Re: egcs & bzip2
@ 1998-11-28 18:42 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-11-28 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julian Seward; +Cc: egcs

Going through some old mail...  Found this...

  In message <34899AD1.9FE2C90C@muraroa.demon.co.uk>you write:
  > I was pleased to see you using bzip2 to distribute it.  A couple
  > of small things, re your page
  > ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/egcs/releases/index.html:
  >
  > -- Perhaps put a link to http://www.muraroa.demon.co.uk
  >    where people can pick up pre-compiled versions?  Or mirror
  >    them yourself?  Saves people the hassle of compiling it,
  >    at least for some platforms.
We did this a month or so ago -- we now link to the bzip2 home page.

  > -- I was alarmed to read: "gcc-2.7 for linux will mis-compile bzip2
  >    if you use the optimizer; make sure to turn off the optimizer when
  >    building bzip2 with gcc-2.7."
  >
  >    Can you be a little more specific?  Is this gcc-2.7.0, or 2.7.X, or
  >    what?  I've bzip2'd several thousand MB on x86-linux with 2.7.2
  >    with no problems at all.  I presume it works ok on egcs-1.0 :-)
I don't remember the details -- basically we couldn't bzip2, then bunzip2 the
egcs-1.0 distribution :(

We haven't had any trouble with the newer versions of bzip as far as I know.

jeff

* Re: egcs & bzip2
       [not found] <twk9diurcl.fsf@penalty.cygnus.com>
@ 1997-12-06 13:16 ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 1997-12-06 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julian_Seward; +Cc: egcs

Hi Julian,

> -- Perhaps put a link to http://www.muraroa.demon.co.uk
>    where people can pick up pre-compiled versions?

Added.

> -- I was alarmed to read: "gcc-2.7 for linux will mis-compile bzip2
>    if you use the optimizer; make sure to turn off the optimizer when
>    building bzip2 with gcc-2.7."
>
>    Can you be a little more specific?  Is this gcc-2.7.0, or 2.7.X, or
>    what?  I've bzip2'd several thousand MB on x86-linux with 2.7.2
>    with no problems at all.  I presume it works ok on egcs-1.0 :-)

I tried to make the bzip2 archives on the morning of the release.
Unfortunately, I was mostly using gcc's that don't correspond to any
released FSF version.  For instance, I was able to bzip the 10MB main
egcs 1.0 tar.gz file and get a 7.6MB file on a Sparcstation 5 running
Solaris.  I could also decode that file on that same with with that
same bunzip2 binary.  When I moved that binary over to our ftp server
(also a sparcstation, but with bzip2 compiled with a different gcc), I
could not decode it.  When I copied to our www server (a RedHat Linux
2.1 system, linux kernel 1.2.13) where gcc -v says 2.7.0, I couldn't
decode the bzip archive with the gcc-2.7.0-generated bunzip2.

I did not take the time to really understand what was happening--I
quickly found that recompiling bzip2 with -O made it work across all
platforms, so that's what I did so that we could get the .bz2 files
on-line right away.

None of these problems came up with the smaller files--it was only
egcs-1.0.tar and egcs-core-1.0.tar files.

I'll try to look in to the problem next week.  I have not tested it
with egcs-1.0 to verify that the problem does not reoccur.

Jason