* RE: Problems with egcs
@ 1998-04-06 17:35 Kaz Kylheku
From: Kaz Kylheku @ 1998-04-06 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Edgar Villanueva', egcs

On Sunday, April 05, 1998 8:38 PM, Edgar Villanueva
[SMTP:edgarvil@ix.netcom.com] wrote:
> I am using a library that is compiled with egcs  -O3 and -O2 options.
>
> All my binarys dump.  If I compile the library and binaries without
> optimizations
> everything is ok.
>
> I would like to help to find the problems in egcs.  But I cannot debug
> because of time and
> lack of knowledge about the library code and egcs.

Why do you automatically assume that the problems are in the
compiler?

Have you considered that your own code may be broken?

Code which invokes undefined behaviors may produce different
results with the same compiler when it is optimized versus when it is
not optimized. A C compiler must only preserve the correctness
of correct programs, under optimization. There are no requirements
as to what should happen as a result of translating and executing
undefined programs.

For example,

	i = 3;
	i = i++;

could produce the value 4 when the compiler is invoked one
way, the value 3 when it is invoked a different way, and 42
in yet a third mode. Since there are no requirements as to
what the result should be, such code can't be used as a basis
for judging the correctness of the compiler.

I would urge you to debug your program as much as possible
to avoid submitting a bogus bug report.

> If anyone is interested in looking at the code I am willing to help.

You could help by creating the smallest example you can come up
with which triggers the problem and submitting it as part of
a bug report.

> The library is ACE.
> The platform is redhat 5.0 with libraries 2.0.7-6 egcs 1.02.  1.0.1 also
> fails.

If you could produce an example that doesn't need ACE or any
other additional library, that would be a bonus.

* Re: Problems with egcs
@ 1998-04-06 19:12 ` Edgar Villanueva
From: Edgar Villanueva @ 1998-04-06 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaz Kylheku; +Cc: egcs

I am sorry for the vague information.

I have made the (assumption) that egcs was the problem because the library
works fine
on other platforms as well as egcs without optimization.

ACE is a cross platform system library/framework written in C++.   It works
on a variety of platforms and
most of the other platforms don't seem to have any problems.

I will try to look into where exactly the problems lay but it aint going to
be easy.

Sorry for the message.

@ 1998-09-30 17:36 ` Carlo Wood
From: Carlo Wood @ 1998-09-30 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarl Jensen; +Cc: egcs

| I have sucsessfully installed egcs, but after running make install, efery
| configure I run, reports an error :
| "Config.guess failed to determine the host type.  You need to specify one."
|
| Could you please help me on this ?

You probably don't have a 'cc' now.  config.guess needs that.
Add a symbolic link from /usr/bin/cc -> where_ever_your_gcc_is

--
 Carlo Wood  <carlo@runaway.xs4all.nl>

* Problems with egcs
@ 1998-09-30  4:15 Jarl Jensen
From: Jarl Jensen @ 1998-09-30  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I have sucsessfully installed egcs, but after running make install, efery
configure I run, reports an error :
"Config.guess failed to determine the host type.  You need to specify one."

Could you please help me on this ?
 --

Yours sincerely,

Jarl E.G. Jensen
jarl@netset.dk

Web: www.netset.dk

NetSet A/S
Carl Gustavs Gade 3
DK-2630 Høje Taastrup
Denmark

Tel.: +45 70 22 85 00
Fax:  +45 70 22 86 00

* Problems with egcs
@ 1998-04-05 21:29 Edgar Villanueva
From: Edgar Villanueva @ 1998-04-05 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I am using a library that is compiled with egcs  -O3 and -O2 options.

All my binarys dump.  If I compile the library and binaries without
optimizations
everything is ok.

I would like to help to find the problems in egcs.  But I cannot debug
because of time and
lack of knowledge about the library code and egcs.

If anyone is interested in looking at the code I am willing to help.

The library is ACE.
The platform is redhat 5.0 with libraries 2.0.7-6 egcs 1.02.  1.0.1 also
fails.

Again, if anyone has the time or is interested in finding the problems
in egcs I am happy to help.

Thanks