* GCC 2.7.2.3 is gone ?
@ 1998-10-11 15:24 Gerald Gutierrez
From: Gerald Gutierrez @ 1998-10-11 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: EGCS List

Hi all.

I just installed EGCS 1.1b two days ago. I remember that prior to this,
if I typed egcs I got egcs 1.0.2, and if I typed gcc I got gcc 2.7.2.3.
I remember reading that RedHat keeps gcc 2.7.2.3 around because egcs
1.0.2 didn't compile the kernel properly.

Typing gcc now gets me egcs 1.1 and typing egcs gets me egcs 1.1. In
fact, /usr/bin/gcc and /usr/bin/egcs are identical. So are /usr/bin/g++
and /usr/bin/c++.

Is this supposed to happen after installing egcs1.1 ? Is this going to
be a problem for me if I decide to recompile the kernel ?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

* Re: GCC 2.7.2.3 is gone ?
@ 1998-10-11 21:38 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-10-11 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Gutierrez; +Cc: EGCS List

  In message < 36210673.FE674C4B@intergate.bc.ca >you write:
  > Hi all.
  >
  > I just installed EGCS 1.1b two days ago. I remember that prior to this,
  > if I typed egcs I got egcs 1.0.2, and if I typed gcc I got gcc 2.7.2.3.
  > I remember reading that RedHat keeps gcc 2.7.2.3 around because egcs
  > 1.0.2 didn't compile the kernel properly.
  >
  > Typing gcc now gets me egcs 1.1 and typing egcs gets me egcs 1.1. In
  > fact, /usr/bin/gcc and /usr/bin/egcs are identical. So are /usr/bin/g++
  > and /usr/bin/c++.
  >
  > Is this supposed to happen after installing egcs1.1 ? Is this going to
  > be a problem for me if I decide to recompile the kernel ?
Yes, this is supposed to happen in a standard distribution.

Red Hat hacks up the install process from the standard one so that they can
keep both egcs and gcc-2.7.2 live on the system together.

jeff

* Re: GCC 2.7.2.3 is gone ?
@ 1998-10-11 23:39   ` Gerald Gutierrez
From: Gerald Gutierrez @ 1998-10-11 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: EGCS List

> Yes, this is supposed to happen in a standard distribution.
>
> Red Hat hacks up the install process from the standard one so that they can
> keep both egcs and gcc-2.7.2 live on the system together.

I see.

Is this going to be a problem if I recompile my kernel ? Have there been
problems or is it alright to go ahead ?

Thanks.

* Re: GCC 2.7.2.3 is gone ?
@ 1998-10-12  0:42     ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-10-12  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Gutierrez; +Cc: EGCS List

  In message < 3621A3FE.1766A575@intergate.bc.ca >you write:
  > > Yes, this is supposed to happen in a standard distribution.
  > >
  > > Red Hat hacks up the install process from the standard one so that they c
  > an
  > > keep both egcs and gcc-2.7.2 live on the system together.
  >
  > I see.
  >
  > Is this going to be a problem if I recompile my kernel ? Have there been
  > problems or is it alright to go ahead ?
Depends on what kernel you are using.

The 2.0.xx kernels are known to be buggy in certain aspects (particularly
its "asms") and should only be compiled by  gcc-2.7.2.

I personally compile my 2.1.xxx kernels with egcs regularly and run them on
my x86 boxes without major headaches.

jeff

* Re: GCC 2.7.2.3 is gone ?
@ 1998-10-12 16:07       ` Horst von Brand
From: Horst von Brand @ 1998-10-12 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: Gerald Gutierrez, EGCS List

Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com> said:
[...]

> I personally compile my 2.1.xxx kernels with egcs regularly and run them on
> my x86 boxes without major headaches.

I'll second that. Latest snapshots haven't been usable on x86, but egcs-1.1
is rock solid (and I'm building egcs-19981012 as I write this, and wonder
what checks I'll apply to it before letting it loose on the kernel ;-)
--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viña del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616

* Re: GCC 2.7.2.3 is gone ?
@ 1998-10-12 21:30           ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-10-12 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Gutierrez; +Cc: Horst von Brand, EGCS List

  In message < 3622CDED.EFE8F0A1@intergate.bc.ca >you write:
  > Perhaps a better question to ask is: if the 2.1.x kernels have fixed
  > their strange little problems, will the 2.2 kernels be able to build
  > correctly on egcs assuming there are no other compiler problems ? ...
  > and perhaps someone knows when 2.2 kernels may be ready ...
They should.  However, we do not ultimately control the 2.1.xx/2.2 kernel
code.

We want to ensure that egcs releases will correctly build the 2.1 and 2.2
kernels, but if there are cases where the linux kernel uses incorrect asms
or has other problems we won't be able to do  much about it except explain
the problem to the kernel developers.

jeff

* Re: GCC 2.7.2.3 is gone ?
@ 1998-10-12 22:24         ` Gerald Gutierrez
From: Gerald Gutierrez @ 1998-10-12 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Horst von Brand; +Cc: law, EGCS List

Horst von Brand wrote:

> Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com> said:
> [...]
>
> > I personally compile my 2.1.xxx kernels with egcs regularly and run them on
> > my x86 boxes without major headaches.
>
> I'll second that. Latest snapshots haven't been usable on x86, but egcs-1.1
> is rock solid (and I'm building egcs-19981012 as I write this, and wonder
> what checks I'll apply to it before letting it loose on the kernel ;-)

You second that and then say that the latest snapshots aren't usable ?
Okay ...