From: Jan Madsen <Jan.Madsen@epfl.ch>
To: jbuck@synopsys.com, mark@markmitchell.com
Cc: Jan.Madsen@epfl.ch, egcs@cygnus.com, jason@cygnus.com
Subject: Re: Patch for sC++ to GNU C++.
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 21:15:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Joe Buck wrote:

> >     Joe> The idea is that there would be a new directory gcc/sc which
> >     Joe> would be a peer of gcc/cp.  It would contain all of the new
> >     Joe> sc-xxx.c files.  Initially, the parser would need to be
> >     Joe> duplicated and modified, which I don't much like.
> >
> > Me neither.  In fact, I'm thinking about how to (partially) reunify
> > the C and C++ front-ends.  Please, let's not duplicate any more code.
>
> As I mentioned, the alternative is to do something like c-parse.in
> (the technique used to share the C and Objective-C parsers).

Perhaps I wasn't that clear in my first mail but the flag '-fsyncc++' is
only there to avoid the duplication of code (I haven't studied the
Objective-C way though). The flag '-fsyncc++' is an internal flag (by
default disabled) which enables the extension. All the modifications for
the sC++ extension is guarded by this flag. There will therefore only be
problems for people who uses the sC++ extension, the C++ language itself
(only the compiler) is not concerned by the change.

Furthermore, the extension is only dependent on the parse.y (and the
lexer files) for generating calls to the kernel. Any other problem
should, I think, be limited to lexical problems such as when a function
changes its name.

Regards,

Jan Madsen

Computer Networking Laboratory        - Laboratoire de Teleinformatique
Computer Science Department           - Departement d'Informatique
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology - Ecole Polytechnique Federale
1015 Lausanne, Switzerland

email: Jan.Madsen@epfl.ch

Tel. 021 / 693 47 97
Fax. 021 / 693 66 00