* Help needed
@ 1999-01-31 23:58 Alejandro F Frangi
From: Alejandro F Frangi @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Hi,

 Is there any fool-proof document/guidelines explaining how
to use egcs to do simple things like

 - generating a shared library
 - generating a static library

 from different modules that contain (instantiations of)
templated classes. I am specially interested in knowing
which flags should be used to avoid unresolved symbols in
the final library.

 I would also like to know the flags to link several
(static/shared) libraries with an executable in order to
avoid soe strange warning messages like

   ld: WARNING 85: definition of AString::operator=(AString
const &)in AString.o preempts that definition in
/hosts/hydra/data1/alex/src/COOOL-1.3/lib/libcoool.so.

 Thanks for the patience with this beginner...

 Regards,

        Alex

* Re: help needed
@ 2005-06-01 11:34 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2005-06-01 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sandeep nadkarni; +Cc: gcc

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 04:22:24AM -0700, sandeep nadkarni wrote:

> Hello,

Hi,

> I'm trying to migrate from open vms to Linux. I'm
> compiling programs on Linux which are running on open
> VMS
>
> I'm facing problem with int64 function.

What problem?  Which function?

> my hardware configuration is P-IV 3.06 GHz
> 512 MB,
> I'm Running Fedora Core 3 with gcc
> Reading specs from
> /usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.3/specs
> Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr
> --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info
> --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix
> --disable-checking --with-system-zlib
> --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-libunwind-exceptions
> --enable-java-awt=gtk --host=i386-redhat-linux
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 3.4.3 20050227 (Red Hat 3.4.3-22.fc3)
>
> can i compile the same with this? what compiler option
> will i have to use?

You haven't given much information but as your question is about using
GCC (not developing it) you might get a better answer by mailing
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org

The gcc@gcc.gnu.org list is for GCC development.

Regards,

jon

--
"Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human.
 At best, he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to dress himself,

* help needed
@ 2005-06-01 11:22 sandeep nadkarni
From: sandeep nadkarni @ 2005-06-01 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello,
I'm trying to migrate from open vms to Linux. I'm
compiling programs on Linux which are running on open
VMS

I'm facing problem with int64 function.
my hardware configuration is P-IV 3.06 GHz
512 MB,
I'm Running Fedora Core 3 with gcc
Reading specs from
/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.3/specs
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr
--mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info
--enable-shared --enable-threads=posix
--disable-checking --with-system-zlib
--enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-libunwind-exceptions
--enable-java-awt=gtk --host=i386-redhat-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.3 20050227 (Red Hat 3.4.3-22.fc3)

can i compile the same with this? what compiler option
will i have to use?

Thanks in advance
regards
Sandeep

__________________________________
Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html

* Re: Help needed
@ 2003-11-29  2:55 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2003-11-29  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chandramohan.Seeniappan; +Cc: gcc

Chandramohan.Seeniappan@infineon.com wrote:
>          I , chandramohan doing my masters course in germany. I like to know
> what are the essential files i have to edit to port the GNU compiler for
> traget oriented and to know more about RTL representation.

You will need changes to some configure files to add your target tuple,
e.g. config.sub, config.gcc, etc.  Most of the work will be adding the
gcc backend target files in config/target, you will need a .h, .c, and a
.md file at a minimum.  You will also need some library changes, there
are some target dependent parts of libstdc++ for instance.

There is extensive documentation available.  See the gcc/doc directory
in the sources, or see the web site.  This isn't very readable, and it
doesn't tell you how to do a port, but it has valuable info you will need.

The easiest way to start a port is probably to look at an existing port
for a target that is similar to yours, and then pattern your port after it.

* Help needed
@ 2003-11-25 18:02 Chandramohan.Seeniappan
From: Chandramohan.Seeniappan @ 2003-11-25 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hai,

@ 2002-10-04 16:03 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2002-10-04 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brajesh; +Cc: gcc

On Oct  3, 2002, "Brajesh" <brajesh@deccanetworld.com> wrote:

> Could you help me in configuring GCC to use as a cross compiler for
> Linux on windows.

Which part of the Cross GCC FAQ you had trouble with?

* Help needed
@ 2002-10-04  1:08 Brajesh
From: Brajesh @ 2002-10-04  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Could you help me in configuring GCC to use as a cross compiler for Linux on windows. To be precise i want to compile my programs on windows using GCC and execute it on Linux machine.

I have downloaded cygwin and used the configure script to configure GCC to compile my windows program and tried to execute it on Linux , it says cannot execute binary file. Could you please help me on this.

Regards
Brajesh

********************************DISCLAIMER**********************************

information and/or be subject to legal privilege of Deccanet Designs Ltd.
If you have received this message in error, please notify the originator
immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that
you are strictly prohibited from retaining, using, copying, altering or
disclosing the contents of this message.

[-- Attachment #2: brajesh.vcf --]
[-- Type: text/x-vcard; name="brajesh.vcf", Size: 584 bytes --]

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:;brajesh
FN:brajesh
ORG:Deccanet Designs Ltd;Engineer
TITLE:Software Engineer
TEL;HOME;VOICE:8436638
ADR;WORK:;091-080-658 7072 / 73 / 74 /75;#50 , Deccanet Designs Ltd , 1st Main , 9th Cross , 3rd Phase , J.P.Nagar;Bangalore;Karnataka;;India
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:091-080-658 7072 / 73 / 74 /75=0D=0A#50 , Deccanet Designs Ltd , 1st Main , =
9th Cross , 3rd Phase , J.P.Nagar=0D=0ABangalore, Karnataka=0D=0AIndia
URL;WORK:http://www.deccanetworld.com
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:brajesh@deccanetworld.com
REV:20021004T011022Z
END:VCARD

* help needed
@ 2002-06-19  6:57 Shirish S Deshmukh
From: Shirish S Deshmukh @ 2002-06-19  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi ,
I need to know how can I get Language specific Intermedite
Representation (tree)while using gcc.I don't want to use rtl.
I want the IR  used to produce rtl.Is there any option to save
c-trees.I encountered the option to save c++ trees.

 I want to make use of trees in my project.We are trying to develop a
debugger with retrospection abilities.

                 Shirish Deshmukh
         Indian Institute of Technology,Bombay.

* Re: Help Needed
@ 2001-07-02 10:30 ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 2001-07-02 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Satyanarayana Muthuswamy; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Satyanarayana Muthuswamy wrote:

> Hi
>
> My name is Satya
> I am a graduate student at the Univ of Minnesota
>
> First of all let me thank you for the g77 compiler.
> I work in Windows 2000.

See http://www.cygwin.com/ and http://www.mingw.org/ -- both provide
GNU Fortran 77 compilers that will run on Windows 2000, but with very
different runtime behaviour. Mingw site has a short description on
the difference between the two.

> I have a question on the Fortran Language.
>
> How can we call an external executable (DOS - exe file) inside a Fortran
> program?

GNU Fortran 77 runtime library provides SYSTEM, which you can use. You'll
have to read the runtime library documentation for that.

Regards,
Mumit

* Help Needed
@ 2001-07-02  9:35 Satyanarayana Muthuswamy
From: Satyanarayana Muthuswamy @ 2001-07-02  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi

My name is Satya
I am a graduate student at the Univ of Minnesota

First of all let me thank you for the g77 compiler.
I work in Windows 2000.

I have a question on the Fortran Language.

How can we call an external executable (DOS - exe file) inside a Fortran
program?

Is it possible? Are there alternatives to it?

Thank you
satya

* Re: Help needed
@ 2001-01-13 23:15 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2001-01-13 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, octavp

> Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 21:39:24 -0500
> From: Nicu Popovici <octavp@isratech.ro>
> To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org

> If I ask the wrong list please excuse and try to point  me to the right
> direction.

Wrong list.  Try the binutils list.  as and ld are both part of binutils.

> I want to know how  gcc assembler and ld cooperates in order to build an
> object file ( in special an ELF object file ).

Nicely.  For more information, I'd recommend reading the source.  :-)

* Help needed
@ 2001-01-13 10:50 Nicu Popovici
From: Nicu Popovici @ 2001-01-13 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello,

If I ask the wrong list please excuse and try to point  me to the right
direction.

I want to know how  gcc assembler and ld cooperates in order to build an
object file ( in special an ELF object file ).

I want to know how the symbol table is built and all other things
related to an object file.

Thanks,

NIcu

* Re: Help needed.
@ 2000-03-09 18:49 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2000-03-09 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, vv2vv

> From: "Virgil Palanciuc" <vv2vv@hotmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 10:40:53 EET

> I am a student at "Politehnica" University Bucharest and my
> graduation project is to optimize the memory and register allocation

Well, optimizing gcc's memory allocation should be an intersting
project.  Certainly we do little in this area, so any improvement you
could contribute would be great.  Also, with the advent of 200+ cycle
memory misses, it might be fairly profitable.  As for register
allocation, I would hope that it would be hard to improve gcc's
scheme, but the right peron with the right algorithm...

> schemes for a specific architecture (Motorola's SC100 family).

Our code isn't specific to any processor and any code you submit that
we included, would have to be fairly machine independent, or at least,
it would have to not harm performance on other machines.

> I saw at www.gnu.org that you encourage people to write you, and so
> I wrote you this message, hoping that you can provide me

You should not count on us providing you with much, other than what
you can get with ftp and the web.  All that, you can find via our web
site.  We are more likely to answer a very specific and details
question, than a question like, so, how does this thing work?

> something that would be helpful (like the e-mail address of someone

We don't provide email addresses of anyone.  You already have _the_
email address.

> willing to answer some of my questions, or maybe a mailing list I
> should subscribe to in order to find these answers).

You already know the list.  See our website for details on subscribing
(gcc.gnu.org).

* Re: Help needed.
@ 2000-03-09 17:30 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-03-09 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Virgil Palanciuc; +Cc: gcc

On Mar  9, 2000, "Virgil Palanciuc" <vv2vv@hotmail.com> wrote:

> (like the e-mail address of someone willing to answer some of my
> questions, or maybe a mailing list I should subscribe to in order to
> find these answers).

It's probably be best if you post whatever questions you have directly
to the mailing list, so that more people can help.

--
Alexandre Oliva     http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/     Enjoy Guaraná
Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company        aoliva@{redhat, cygnus}.com

* Help needed.
@ 2000-03-09  0:41 Virgil Palanciuc
From: Virgil Palanciuc @ 2000-03-09  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

     I am a student at "Politehnica" University Bucharest and my graduation
project is to optimize the memory and register allocation schemes for a
specific architecture (Motorola's SC100 family). I have been given a machine
description for this architecture.

    I saw at www.gnu.org that you encourage people to write you, and so I
wrote you this message, hoping that you can provide me something that would
be helpful (like the e-mail address of someone willing to answer some of my
questions, or maybe a mailing list I should subscribe to in order to find
these answers).

     Thank you.
            Virgil

P.S. I sent this mail from Hotmail the mail sent from my regular email
account was rejected.