* Multi-threaded Applications Crash
@ 1999-03-24 14:46 Pyle, Mike
From: Pyle, Mike @ 1999-03-24 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

We're running into some problems using egcs 1.1.2 with some multi-threaded
applications crashing in the C runtime library (specifically inside of
vsprintf and sprintf) (For those that care these are a few of the test
applications for the ACE framework). This happens with both 1.1.1 and 1.1.2
on a dual processor Sparc Ultra-2 running Solaris 2.6. I don't know that
this is a problem with the compiler but I'm checking all avenues (these same
applications run fine compiled w/1.1.1 on a single processor Intel box
running Solaris 2.6). I've looked around but didn't find mention of specific
options required when compiling for multi-threaded apps.

Is there such a flag?

* Re: Multi-threaded Applications Crash
@ 1999-03-24 14:53 ` Dima Volodin
       [not found]   ` < 36F96CB5.CA23A24D@dvv.ru >
From: Dima Volodin @ 1999-03-24 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pyle, Mike; +Cc: egcs

"Pyle, Mike" wrote:

> We're running into some problems using egcs 1.1.2 with some multi-threaded
> applications crashing in the C runtime library (specifically inside of
> vsprintf and sprintf) (For those that care these are a few of the test
> applications for the ACE framework). This happens with both 1.1.1 and 1.1.2
> on a dual processor Sparc Ultra-2 running Solaris 2.6. I don't know that
> this is a problem with the compiler but I'm checking all avenues (these same
> applications run fine compiled w/1.1.1 on a single processor Intel box
> running Solaris 2.6). I've looked around but didn't find mention of specific
> options required when compiling for multi-threaded apps.

> Is there such a flag?

On Sparc, -pthreads takes care of it all. On other Solaris platforms, I'd like
to see this flag incorporated into the mainstream distribution. And, of course,
_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS should be there too.

Dima

@ 1999-03-25  6:32     ` David Cogen
       [not found]       ` < 199903251423.JAA14714@ll.mit.edu >
From: David Cogen @ 1999-03-25  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

> > Is there such a flag?
>
> On Sparc, -pthreads takes care of it all. On other Solaris platforms, I'd like
> to see this flag incorporated into the mainstream distribution. And, of course,
> _POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS should be there too.

What is "-pthreads"? It is not in g++ info files. How did you discover this? I
tried it anyway. It seemed to be accepted by the compiler, but I got the
error:

  /data/hancock0/cogen/gnu/include/g++/stl_alloc.h:73: pthread.h: No such file
or directory

The info files mention a "-mthreads" option. I tried that but the option is
rejected by the compiler.

-- DavidC

@ 1999-03-25  6:39         ` Dima Volodin
From: Dima Volodin @ 1999-03-25  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Cogen; +Cc: egcs

477_dv@lazybones> ls -l /usr/include/pthread.h
-rw-r--r--   1 bin      bin         9136 Jul 15  1997 /usr/include/pthread.h
478_dv@lazybones> uname -a
SunOS lazybones 5.6 Generic_105181-11 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-20
479_dv@lazybones>

@ 1999-03-31 23:46 ` Pyle, Mike
From: Pyle, Mike @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs