From: David Malcolm <dmalcolm@redhat.com>
To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org, binutils@sourceware.org, cgen@sourceware.org,
	 dejagnu@gnu.org, newlib@sourceware.org,
	libc-alpha@sourceware.org,  fosdem@lists.fosdem.org,
	devroom-managers@lists.fosdem.org
Subject: GCC devroom at FOSDEM 2024: Call for Participation open
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 18:20:55 -0500	[thread overview]

We're excited to announce that GCC will have a developer room at the
upcoming FOSDEM 2024, in Brussels, Belgium:

https://fosdem.org/2024/

This email is a Call for Presentations about GCC for the developer
room.

Important Dates:

    1st December 2023      Submission deadline
    8th December 2023      Acceptance notifications
    15th December 2023     Final Schedule announcement
    3rd-4th February 2024  FOSDEM!

## CFP Introduction

This devroom is geared towards both users of GCC and developers of GCC,
and of closely related toolchain components (binutils, glibc, newlib,
for example).

The goal of the devroom is for GCC developers to get in touch with each
other, and with users of GCC, to have (we hope) productive discussions
about it, to help people get involved in development, and to have fun.

The format of the expected presentations will cover a range that
includes:

     * technical presentations
     * tutorials
     * lightning talks
     * demos

Typically presentation slots are 25 minutes, with 15 minutes
recommended for presentations, and 10 minutes for Q&A.
Lightning talks are 5 minutes each.

### What is FOSDEM?

**FOSDEM is a free event for software developers to meet, share ideas
and collaborate.**

Every year, thousands of developers of free and open source software
from all over the world gather at the event in Brussels.

FOSDEM 2024 will take place on Saturday 3 and Sunday 4 February 2024.
It will be an in-person event at the **ULB Solbosch Campus, Brussels,
Belgium, Europe.**
If you aren't there, you can watch the live streams from the main
tracks and developer rooms.

### Important stuff:

- FOSDEM is free to attend. There is no registration.
- [FOSDEM website](https://fosdem.org/)
- [FOSDEM code of conduct](https://fosdem.org/2024/practical/conduct/)
- [FOSDEM Schedule](https://fosdem.org/2024/schedule/)

### Desirable topics:

     * Technical presentations, such as discusion of GCC internals
     * Talks for users of GCC, such as presentation of new features
     * Tutorials (e.g. on GCC usage, or on getting involved in
     GCC development)
     * Lightning talks
     * Demos

### Topic overlap

There are over 50 developer rooms this year, and multiple main tracks,
so there may be overlap with some other events.
If the topic would fit more than one devroom, you are free to choose
which to submit to, but we encourage you to consider the focus of the
talk, and see which devroom is best matched.

Full list of devrooms
[here](https://fosdem.org/2024/news/2023-11-08-devrooms-announced/).

### How to submit your proposal

To submit a talk, please visit the [FOSDEM 2024 Pretalx
website](https://pretalx.fosdem.org/fosdem-2024/cfp).

Click **Submit a proposal**. Make sure you choose the "GCC" devroom in
the track drop-down menu (so that we see it rather than another
devroom's organisers)

### What should be in your submission

- name
- short bio
- contact info
- title
- abstract (what you're going talk about, supports markdown)

Your abstract should indicate expected prior knowledge / intended
audience, to help FOSDEM attendees choose between sessions.

Optional:

- submission notes (for the organiser only, not made public)
- description (more detail description, supports markdown)
- session image (if you have an illustration to go with the talk)
- additional speaker/s (if more than one person presenting)

Afterwards, click "Continue".
The second page will include fields for:

- Extra materials for reviewers (optional, for organisers only)
- Additional information about the speaker (optional).
- Resources to be used during the talk

All presentations will be recorded and made available under Creative
Commons licenses. In the Submission notes field, please indicate that
you agree that your presentation will be licensed under the CC-By-SA-
4.0 or CC-By-4.0 license and that you agree to have your presentation
recorded.

For example:

  "If my presentation is accepted for FOSDEM, I hereby agree to
  license all recordings, slides, and other associated materials
  under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 4.0 International
  License.

     Sincerely,

     <NAME>."

Once you've completed the required sections, submit and we'll get back
to you soon!

### Things to be aware of

* The reference time will be Brussels local lime (CET)
<https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/belgium/brussels>
* If you're not able to attend the talk in-person, live stream links
   will be available on the FOSDEM schedule page:
<https://fosdem.org/2024/schedule/>.
* FOSDEM Matrix channels are specific to each devroom,
   the general link is: </#/#fosdem:fosdem.org>
* FOSDEM 2024 FAQ: <https://fosdem.org/2024/faq/>

### Contact

If you have any question about this devroom, please send a message to
gcc-devroom-manager at fosdem dot org.

Organizers of the devroom can also be reached on IRC at
irc://irc.oftc.net/#gcc; see https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GCConIRC

### Program Committee

* David Malcolm (dmalcolm at redhat dot com)
* Thomas Schwinge (tschwinge at googlemail dot com)