* egcs.cygnus.com server problems ???
@ 1998-11-02 19:39 David W. Schuler
From: David W. Schuler @ 1998-11-02 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I have been having a LOT of problems trying to download the 1998-11-01 snapshot
today.  I have been getting errors all day, and have not been successful in
downloading the entire copy of egcs.  I keep getting the following type of
error from ftp:

    421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
    6286848 bytes received in 1.3e+03 seconds (4.7 Kbytes/s)
    ftp>

The byte count keeps changing, and the error itself has changed several times.
However, the net is that I have not been able to download the file
egcs-19981101.tar.gz.

Is there a problem with the server???  Has anyone else been successful today
in downloading the file?  I have never had a problem in the past with
downloading from the egcs.cygnus.com server, and am surprised at the problems
I am having today.

(Does the server keep any logs???  Maybe there is something at the other end
 that will be of help in figuring this out.)

David W. Schuler - Advisory Engineer
Semiconductor Contract Mfg            Internet: schuld@btv.ibm.com
IBM Microelectronics                     Phone: 802-769-7636
1000 River Street - MS/862D                FAX: 802-769-6206
Essex Junction, VT   05452-4299          Pager: 888-438-4343
For IBM Foundry information:         http://www.chips.ibm.com/services/foundry/

* Re: egcs.cygnus.com server problems ???
@ 1998-11-03 21:28 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-11-03 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David W. Schuler; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 199811022306.SAA40134@apache4.btv.ibm.com >you write:

  > I have been having a LOT of problems trying to download the 1998-11-01
  > snapshot today.  I have been getting errors all day, and have not been
  >  successful in
  > downloading the entire copy of egcs.  I keep getting the following type of
  > error from ftp:
Odds are the link to Cygnus is saturated due to the cygwin b20 release.

If at all possible you should be using one of the mirrors anyway :-)

Jeff

* Re: egcs.cygnus.com server problems ???
@ 1998-11-05  5:10   ` Marc Lehmann
From: Marc Lehmann @ 1998-11-05  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

On Tue, Nov 03, 1998 at 11:33:58AM -0700, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
>   > snapshot today.  I have been getting errors all day, and have not been
>   >  successful in
>   > downloading the entire copy of egcs.  I keep getting the following type of
>   > error from ftp:
> Odds are the link to Cygnus is saturated due to the cygwin b20 release.
>
> If at all possible you should be using one of the mirrors anyway :-)

Actually, the mirrors are sufferung from the same problem (at least
goof.com). I mirror it four times a day, and I get a broken transfer about
once every two weeks.

This occurs ever since I mirror it, and I suspect it is related to the
coredumping problem of the ftpd (remember the "mkdir core" fix?)

    The choice of a GNU generation                        |