* Re: Removal of support for GCC hosted on UWIN
@ 2001-01-09  4:09 Axel Kittenberger
From: Axel Kittenberger @ 2001-01-09  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

> It's only when you do it the other way around the GPL comes into
> affect;
>
> If you have a commercial program and link with a GPL library, then
> it's a violation of the GPL if the commercial program is not GPL.
>
> I am very interested in your reasoning about this;  Any change you can
> point me out to the information/person on which you base your
> statement?

Okay to add to the debatte...

As far I understood it you also cannot link a GPL application with an
commercial librabray.

However if you are the Author (Copyright holder) of your GPL application
you can simply add an exception to the license to allow linking to this one
(or more) specific
A year ago or so I pestered the FSF exactly regarding this :)

Unfortunally I lost the exact disclamer template...

* Re: Removal of support for GCC hosted on UWIN
@ 2001-01-10 15:45 dewar
From: dewar @ 2001-01-10 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgf, dewar; +Cc: gcc

Incidentally there is almost no special code in GNAT to support Interix,
since this is pretty much a vanilla Unix port.

* Re: Removal of support for GCC hosted on UWIN
@ 2001-01-10 15:44 dewar
From: dewar @ 2001-01-10 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgf, dewar; +Cc: gcc

<<Sorry.  I did not mean to imply that Interix only provides POSIX
libraries, however isn't that what we are talking about here?  U/WIN
certainly offers more than just a 'libc.a'.

For a user of U/WIN, U/WIN looks pretty much like any other Unix system.

But Interix *IS* unix, it is simply a port of standard Unix code with the
low level interfaces of the kernel replaced by calls to the NT kernel.

I really am amazed at any attempt to equate U/WIN and Interix, I would
be surprised if anyone who had used and worked with interix would regard
it as anything other than a normal port of Unix. We are not just talking
library interfaces here, but the whole deal, tools, shells, etc, and
these are not just simulations of the Unix tools and shells, they ARE
the standard code, ported just as one would do the port for any other
Unix port.

* Re: Removal of support for GCC hosted on UWIN
@ 2001-01-10 15:23 dewar
From: dewar @ 2001-01-10 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgf, dewar; +Cc: gcc, geoffk

<<I don't understand your analogy.  Are you implying that you have to buy
Tru64 before you buy OpenVMS?

No, I am saying that if Compaq suddenly decided that you DID have to buy
Tru64 before you bought OpenVMS, this would NOT change the fact that
OpenVMS is an operating system.

And that seems to be the argument here, the argument is that since you
have to buy NT to run Interix, therefore Interix is not an operating
system. But that's just a marketing choice that Microsoft makes (basically
they assume, no doubt rightly, that no one would run Interix if they did
not also want to run Win32).

* Re: Removal of support for GCC hosted on UWIN
@ 2001-01-10 13:32 dewar
From: dewar @ 2001-01-10 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dewar, geoffk; +Cc: gcc

<<However, Interix is not normally distributed with the NT kernel.  So
it doesn't matter whether you consider the kernel to be the OS, or
Interix to be the OS, because you don't get both of them together than
you can't link a GPLed program with them and distribute it.

To emphasize this further. OpenVMS is not normally distributed with
Tru64, but this does not mean that OpenVMS is therefore somehow in
the same category as third party software not covered by the exception.

The exception clause is with respect to an operating system, it is talking
about things athat are normally distributed with the operating system.

Interix *IS* an operating system, so the issue of the exception clause is
with respect to what components are normally distributed with Interix.

* Re: Removal of support for GCC hosted on UWIN
@ 2001-01-10 13:29 dewar
From: dewar @ 2001-01-10 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dewar, geoffk; +Cc: gcc

<<However, Interix is not normally distributed with the NT kernel.  So
it doesn't matter whether you consider the kernel to be the OS, or
Interix to be the OS, because you don't get both of them together than
you can't link a GPLed program with them and distribute it.

Interix is an operating system, and it is normally distributed with itself
when you buy the Interix operating system. It is not distributed with NT,
because that is a quite different operating system. They happen to share
the same micro-kernel that is all.

What on earth do you mean by "link a GPL'ed program with Interix" and
distribute it? This makes absolutely ZERO sense. Interix is an operating
system, you don't link things with an operating system.

Now there may be some components of the Interix operating system that
are "nromally distributed" with Interix, that are subject to the
GPL exception clause, though for the most part stuff is bound dynamically
anyway.

I really think people should buy and use Interix before they make
pronouncements. Trying to differentiate between interix and other
implementations of Unix seems quite bizarre to me.

* Re: Removal of support for GCC hosted on UWIN
@ 2001-01-10 12:13 dewar
From: dewar @ 2001-01-10 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgf, gcc

<<Hopefully, I'm not confused about what people mean by NT since I have to
understand it fairly well to do my job.  IMO, Interix is an add-on to
the Windows NT operating system which provides full POSIX support.  It
is a proprietary package relying on Windows NT internals to do its job.
It certainly is a subsystem but it is also an additional package provided
by Microsoft in addition to Windows NT.

Full POSIX support is a very strange way of defining this. It is simploy
a full Unix system, with all the normal Unix features. FOr a user of
Interix, NT+Interix looks pretty much like any other Unix system.

The technical structure, once again, is that NT is a microkernel system
with subsystems.

Technically there is no difference at all between

NT Kernel + Win32 => provides what people normally think of as the NT
operating system

NT Kernel + Interix => Provides an implementation of Unix

The two subsystems can of course be run together.

It is a marketing decision of Microsoft that the only way you can buy
the microkernel is to get the Win32 subsystem as well, so yes, in
marketing terms it is an add on.

<<I've never purchased Interix from Microsoft, so maybe I'm wrong, but I
don't believe that Microsoft markets this POSIX library as anything but
an add-on to Windows NT.  Here's the marketing blurb:

Well we have worked extensively with Interix from the early non-Microsoft
days. As far as we are concerned it is just one more Unix system for which
we provide GNAT support. To think of Interix as a "POSIX library" is really
quite misleading, that is unless you think of SOlaris as nothing more than
a POSIX library :-)

Note that Win32 programs cannot somehow use Interix to provide POSIX
facilities, that's a compeltely wrong view of the strucure. The two
subsystems are quite separated.

Historically (and perhaps this accounts for part of the confusion),
Microsoft built at POSIX subsystem with minimal capabilities (about
all it could do was run the POSIX tests), to convince the DoD that
NT was an open system supporting POSIX (amazingly they got away
with this rather deceptive^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hpeculiar approach).

Softway Systems then acquired the code for this subsystem and used
it as the starting point to develop a complete implementation of
Unix as an NT subsystem. This version of Unix is quite complete
(it was one of the easier Unices from the point of view of porting
GNAT). Microsoft then later acquired Softway.

I think if you *had* "purchased Interix from Microsoft", you would have
a clearer view. I cannot imagine anyone familiar with Interix describing
it as anything else than a (fairly conventional) implementation of the
Unix operating system.

<<"Microsoft® Interix 2.2 is the easiest way for customers to take
advantage of their previous investments in UNIX-based legacy
applications as they move to the Windows® operating system.  Interix
provides a powerful, high-performance environment in which to easily run
UNIX applications and scripts on the Window NT® and Windows 2000
operating systems, enabling customers to take advantage of the many
benefits of the Windows platform while still maintaining their
UNIX-based legacy applications."

I quite understand how reading this blurb may confuse you. Nothing it says
is actually *wrong*, but it is highly (perhaps deliberately) misleading
people reading it into thinking that this is some compatibility library
for Unix applications, and you certainly can be excused for not realizing
that what Microsoft is talking about is a complete Unix implementation
that is quite separate from the Win32 world.

It is posible to write hybrid applications in which you have parts running
under Win32, and parts under Interix, communicating through sockets, but
you might as well be operating on separate machines as far as the level
of communication goes. Indeed one way to build such hybrid applications
in GNAT is to built the system as a distributed system, using the
distribution features built into Ada 95, where it just happens that the
two partitions are on the same physical machine.

* Re: Removal of support for GCC hosted on UWIN
@ 2001-01-10  8:53 dewar
From: dewar @ 2001-01-10  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgf, jbuck; +Cc: alain, dewar, gcc

by the way, just so people know, GNAT is standardly targetted to Interix,
it is one of many ports supported by GNAT.

* Re: Removal of support for GCC hosted on UWIN
@ 2001-01-10  8:52 dewar
From: dewar @ 2001-01-10  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgf, jbuck; +Cc: alain, dewar, gcc

<<Interix is a trickier case: it is owned by the OS vendor and is being
marketed as "a native subsystem to Windows".  I don't know the answer,
but there are issues that distinguish it from U/WIN that may matter.
But RMS is going to look at it, I think.

It *is* a native subsystem, this is not just marketing!

* Re: Removal of support for GCC hosted on UWIN
@ 2001-01-10  7:43 dewar
From: dewar @ 2001-01-10  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgf, dewar; +Cc: alain, gcc, jbuck

<<Ditto Interix, IMO.

I strongly disagree, Interix is entirely equivalent to Win32 from a logical
point of view, it is one of the alternative subsystems offered for use
with the NT kernel. When using NT, the operating system consists of
the kernel + a subsystem of your choice. Microsoft offers two possible
subsystems, Win32, and Interix. The combination of the NT kernel and
Interix provides a typical Unix like operating system. In no sense
is Interix a separate unit operating on top of Win32.

Part of the confusion here is that when people say NT, they usually
mean the combination of the NT kernel + the Win32 subsystem. If this
is your meaning when you use the term NT, then Interix is NOT a library
that runs under NT, it is an operating system in all the normal uses
of the term.

From: dewar @ 2001-01-10  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cgf, khan; +Cc: gcc, rms

<<>Ironically, we're pushing the UWIN users back to MSVC as the only
>viable compiler.

I must say, I miss the point here, I do not see any irony here ...

* Re: Removal of support for GCC hosted on UWIN
@ 2001-01-09 14:00 dewar
From: dewar @ 2001-01-09 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alain, jbuck; +Cc: gcc

I cannot see any convincing argument that could be made in court or
anywhere else that would permit U/Win to be regarded as something that
meets the exception clause of the GPL. It is quite clear that this
software is *not* "normally distributed ..."

* Re: Removal of support for GCC hosted on UWIN
@ 2001-01-09 11:31 dewar
From: dewar @ 2001-01-09 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: khan, mark; +Cc: gcc

<<Doesn't x86/alpha Interix support also fall under the same cloud then? It
is also an unbundled product, albeit now owned by Microsoft the OS vendor,
but still not part of the base OS.

That's confused, Interix has exactly the same status as Win32, it is a
subsystem of NT. You cannot use the NT kernel directly (for one thing, its
interfaces are not documented -- it is probably the only kernel in the world
which is not only proprietary, but its interfaces are considered proprietary
and secret -- and the Navy declares it to be an "open system" :-)

So in practice using NT means using NT + one of the subsystems, and the
combination of the two corresponds to a normal operating system.

So if it is OK to call Win32 an OS (and people usually mean NT kernel + Win 32
subsystem when they say NT), then it is equally right to call the NT kernel
+ Interix an OS).

* Re: Removal of support for GCC hosted on UWIN
@ 2001-01-09  9:34 Axel Kittenberger
From: Axel Kittenberger @ 2001-01-09  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Okay, regarding linking to 'non-free' libraries for the copyright holder,

I've digged up my mail archive, here is the add
on:
    ...usual gnu header....

    Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307
USA

    As a special exception, <name of copyright holder> gives permission to
    link this program with <FOO>, and distribute the resulting executable,
    without including the source code for <FOO> in the source
distribution.
<FOO> would be the official name of the specific software package that
your
program must link against to work properly.  You can include multiple
paragraphs like the last one if there are additional programs.

((( In my case it was sun's hotspot VM, however during development I
discovered it's better to dynamically load it either way ( withLoadLibrary()),
which is neither case a GPL violation as far I understood it, since it's not
linked with it. However this of non-importance here :o) )))

* Re: Removal of support for GCC hosted on UWIN
@ 2001-01-09  6:03 dewar
From: dewar @ 2001-01-09  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dewar, nik; +Cc: gcc

<<So if one considers UWIN an operating system (as the phase
"hosted on UWIN" implies) why the prohibition?
What is it about UWIN that is different from SunOS or HPUX - or come
to that Mingw32 where we don't have the source to MS's C runtime.

(Being devils advocate mainly - just to try and under stand
 what GCC folk understand by GPL.)

The GCC folk understand nothing more and nothing less than what the
license says. Now as to the *intepretation* of that license, i.e.
exactly what the exception means, that's subject to discussion, and
since there is no case law here, no one can speak with absolute
legal authority. As with any license agreement, ultimately the terms
have to be interpreted by a judge or jury :-)

* Re: Removal of support for GCC hosted on UWIN
@ 2001-01-09  5:39 dewar
From: dewar @ 2001-01-09  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mark, monty; +Cc: gcc-announce, gcc

>Of what I understand of GPL, it's ok to link a GPL program with ANY
>library.  If that would be true, you could not link a GPL program with
>any commercial toolkit and there is clearly many such programs around!

This is incorrect, a program aggregated by linking a GPL program with
another library which is NOT part of the operating environment cannot
be distributed under the terms of the GPL. That's fundamental and it
is actually a little surprising to read the above paragraph. I trust
no one is actually operating under such a serious misaprehension. If
they are, sounds like some copyright violation is taking place!

* Re: Removal of support for GCC hosted on UWIN
@ 2001-01-09  5:16 dewar
From: dewar @ 2001-01-09  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aoliva, nik; +Cc: dkorn, gcc

<<So how does a binary that links (say) HPUX's libc.sl, or Sun's libc.so
get allowed?

Well I guess the answer is RTFL (L = license). There is a clear
distinction made in the last paragraph but one of section 3 that
obviously applies to the examples you cite here:

------
However, as a
special exception, the source code distributed need not include
anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary
form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the
operating system on which the executable runs, unless that component
itself accompanies the executable.

* Re: Removal of support for GCC hosted on UWIN
@ 2001-01-09  3:55 dewar
From: dewar @ 2001-01-09  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-announce, gcc, mark

<<Note that GCC is merely a special case: it is a violation of the GPL
to link *any* GPL'd program with the U/WIN support library.

We need to clarify a bit, anyone can do this for themselves, it is
*distributing* the resulting program that is the potential violation
of the GPL. The act of linking is never of itself a violation of the
license.

* RE: Removal of support for GCC hosted on UWIN
@ 2001-01-09  2:15 David Korn
From: David Korn @ 2001-01-09  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2001-01-09  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, gcc-announce

We've learned that the usage of GCC on U/WIN involves a violation of
the GNU GPL, linking GCC with a non-free third-party support library;
therefore, we have removed the support for such usage.