* `contrib/gcc_update --touch` and snapshots
@ 2000-08-19 13:49 Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2000-08-19 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: Mark Mitchell

I'm afraid the following change breaks `contrib/gcc_update --touch`
when used with snapshots, which do contain generated files:

  2000-07-13  Mark Mitchell  <mark@codesourcery.com>

        * gcc_update (files_and_dependencies): Remove generated YACC files.

An example sent to me privately by some user:

  # contrib/gcc_update --touch
  Touching gcc/config.in...
  Touching gcc/java/parse.h...
  Touching libf2c/configure...
  Touching libf2c/libU77/configure...
  # cd $objdir
  # make
  gmake[1]: Entering directory `/work/egcs-20000814/libiberty'
  ...snip...
  cd cp && gmake ./parse.c
  gmake[3]: Entering directory `/work/egcs-20000814/gcc/cp'
  expect 33 shift/reduce conflicts and 58 reduce/reduce conflicts.
  cd .; bison  -d -o parse.c parse.y
  bison: not found
  gmake[3]: *** [parse.c] Error 127

Perhaps we can/should touch generated files if and only if they already
exist in the local source tree? Thoughts?

Gerald

* Re: `contrib/gcc_update --touch` and snapshots
@ 2000-08-20  9:23 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2000-08-20  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: Mark Mitchell

On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> Perhaps we can/should touch generated files if and only if they already
> exist in the local source tree? Thoughts?

Sorry, I was confused: Clearly, if the generated files are included in
snapshots, they will have a more recent time stamp than their sources, so
this should not be an issue (unless some tar does not obey file dates).

The real problem is that snapshots do not contain these generated files.
Didn't we agree to include these for FTP snapshots and releases?

@ 2000-08-20 11:09   ` Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2000-08-20 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pfeifer; +Cc: gcc

    Gerald> The real problem is that snapshots do not contain these
    Gerald> generated files.  Didn't we agree to include these for FTP
    Gerald> snapshots and releases?

Yes.  I believe that Bruce Korb was going to take a whack at doing
that.

* Re: `contrib/gcc_update --touch` and snapshots
@ 2000-08-20 15:59     ` Bruce Korb
From: Bruce Korb @ 2000-08-20 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Mitchell; +Cc: pfeifer, gcc

Mark Mitchell wrote:

>     Gerald> The real problem is that snapshots do not contain these
>     Gerald> generated files.  Didn't we agree to include these for FTP
>     Gerald> snapshots and releases?
>
> Yes.  I believe that Bruce Korb was going to take a whack at doing
> that.

Yeah, but Bruce Korb got involved in an OS release and then
in a NFSv4 proposal and this week in a forum.  RSN.  :-).

* Re: `contrib/gcc_update --touch` and snapshots
@ 2000-08-23  8:35   ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2000-08-23  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: gcc, Mark Mitchell

  In message < Pine.BSF.4.21.0008201819530.33859-100000@deneb.dbai.tuwien.ac.at >
you write:
  > The real problem is that snapshots do not contain these generated files.
  > Didn't we agree to include these for FTP snapshots and releases?
Yes, but I simply don't have time to do it.  Yes, I should check the
snapshot script into CVS so that others can take care of it.  Egad, this is
going to be embarrassing.

jeff