* Re: gcc-ss-20001113 is now available
       [not found] <974197749.30952.ezmlm@gcc.gnu.org>
@ 2000-11-15 11:53 ` Tim Josling
From: Tim Josling @ 2000-11-15 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

My cvs update for the weekly snapshot suddenly failed this week.
I was running exactly the same command as ever (run from command
files).

I had set the environment variables as specified in the doco:

export CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygnus.com:/cvs/gcc
export CVS_RSH=

Which was the problem. The CVSROOT should now read

export CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@gcc.gnu.org:/cvs/gcc
export CVS_RSH=

The error message related to egcs not matching gcc or something
like that (I didn't keep a copy of the message).

No doubt the need to make the change was explained at some point,
but I must have missed it.

Tim Josling

* Re: gcc-ss-20001113 is now available
@ 2000-11-15 13:23   ` Geoff Keating
From: Geoff Keating @ 2000-11-15 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Josling; +Cc: gcc

Tim Josling <tej@melbpc.org.au> writes:

> My cvs update for the weekly snapshot suddenly failed this week.
> I was running exactly the same command as ever (run from command
> files).
>
> I had set the environment variables as specified in the doco:
>
> export CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygnus.com:/cvs/gcc
> export CVS_RSH=
>
> Which was the problem. The CVSROOT should now read
>
> export CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@gcc.gnu.org:/cvs/gcc
> export CVS_RSH=
>
> The error message related to egcs not matching gcc or something
> like that (I didn't keep a copy of the message).

Pity.  Since gcc.gnu.org and anoncvs.cygnus.com are the same machine,
your change should have had no effect, so I'd be interested to see
what the error message was.

It may have been some transient problem.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org>

* Re: gcc-ss-20001113 is now available
@ 2000-11-15 15:01   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2000-11-15 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Josling; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Tim Josling wrote:
> I had set the environment variables as specified in the doco:
>
> export CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygnus.com:/cvs/gcc
> export CVS_RSH=

Which docu do you refer to? I cannot grep anoncvs.cygnus.com anywhere
in the current web pages, so I assume you refer to the documentation
back then?

Gerald

* Re: gcc-ss-20001113 is now available
@ 2000-11-15 15:15     ` Tim Josling
From: Tim Josling @ 2000-11-15 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: gcc

Yes, as previously specified in the doco.

I don't know what was happening. I am told that the two sites are
aliases of one another so it shouldn't make any difference.

Using the new URL it spent a long time doing nothing at all
(renaming file X as it is in the way, then do no updates). So I
am now doing a full refresh :-(.

Tim Josling

@ 2000-11-15 16:27 Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2000-11-15 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: tej

Tim Josling wrote:

> My cvs update for the weekly snapshot suddenly failed this week.

As others have already noted, anoncvs.cygnus.com and gcc.gnu.org are
aliases for one another.  And the CVS pserver protocol doesn't give CVS
enough information for the hostname to make any difference.

More importantly, the CVSROOT environment variable is ignored when
doing a cvs update operation in an existing tree.  The CVS/Root
files will override the CVSROOT environment variable.  (and the -d
command line option to cvs will override both of these)

If I had to make a guess, I'd wager that your cvs update failed because
gcc.gnu.org limits pserver access when the load average goes above 15.
I have no idea if the load average has been above 15 recently, but it's
either that or a network outage.  If it was the load limiter, you would
have gotten an error message from cvs explaining why the cvs command
failed.

Tim also wrote:

> Using the new URL it spent a long time doing nothing at all
> (renaming file X as it is in the way, then do no updates). So I
> am now doing a full refresh :-(.

A cvs update can be slow for a variety of reasons.  It make _look_
like it is hung when it is actually waiting for the server to check
the revisions of all of the files in the repository and determine
what needs to be updated.  A lot of this client-side checking and
server-side checking takes place before any files are sent.

If cvs was in the process of sending the file differences (it's
pretty obvious - you'll see the "P", "U", etc., update lines), then
a slowdown may be due to network bandwidth.  If that's the case,
make sure you're compressing your cvs communications either by
having "cvs -q -z9" in your $HOME/.cvsrc or by running "cvs -q -z9
update"  (the -q is unrelated, but often preferred).

Checking out an entirely new tree skips all of the version checks
(because you have no existing files, so all must be sent to you)
so things will start happening immediately, but it will take a long
time to send all of the files over the Internet.  Again, compressing
the communications is essential, but doing an update is preferred
even more -- you'll only be pulling over a fraction of the data.

If you're ever in doubt about your cvs operation, try running it
with a '-t' command line option.  With a recent cvs version, it
should show you all of the cvs commands that are being sent between
the server and the client.  It's an awful lot of output, but you can
see what is really going on.

Jason

* gcc-ss-20001113 is now available
@ 2000-11-13 17:01 law
From: law @ 2000-11-13 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

gcc-ss-20001113 is now available on
gcc.cygnus.com:/pub/gcc/snapshots/2000-11-13

(and on various mirrors, see the gcc home page for mirror sites).

You'll find:

  gcc-20001113.tar.gz                  The full gcc snapshot, including all
                                        languages runtime libraries.

  gcc-core-20001113.tar.gz             Just the C front end and core compiler.

  gcc-g++-20001113.tar.gz              The g++ language and runtime.

  gcc-g77-20001113.tar.gz              The g77 language and runtime.

  gcc-objc-20001113.tar.gz             The Objective-C font end and runtime.

  gcc-java-20001113.tar.gz             The Java font end.

  gcc-chill-20001113.tar.gz            The Chill font end and runtime.

If you are using an x86 GNU/Linux system that uses RPMs to handle
installation, you may find the daily RPM snapshots at:

http://www.codesourcery.com/gcc-snapshots.html

easier to install.

Diffs from 20001106 are available.

Note at times you may find newer directories on the server with limited
permissions.  These represent snapshots that have not yet been verified
as correct, or are known to be incorrect.

When a particular snapshot is ready for public consumption the directory
permissions are relaxed, the LATEST-IS- file is updated and a message is
sent to the gcc list.

Using a snapshot before it's officially made available is an unwise thing
to do since it may become impossible to update to an official snapshot.

The "gcc_latest_snapshot" tag has been moved.  You can use
cvs update -rgcc_latest_snapshot to update your CVS tree to the latest
official snapshot.