From: "Robert E. Hartley" <rhartley@ics.com>
To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: GPL and NDA  Q:what defines an "organization"
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 08:17:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi,

(sorry for being so OT.  Flames pointing me at the proper place will be gladly
accepted)

I have never considered this stuff before, but recent postings make my brain
itch with some questions:

Is it true that GPL'ed code can be used within an organization with the source
undisclosed, as long as it never leaves that organization in arny form?

If so, what defines an "organization"

Does this infer that a mean spirited group could setup their own "Organization
of Nasty People Who Do Not Like the GPL", and operating in bad faith, use
GPL code amongst themselves and forbid ever sharing the source with outsiders?

Could they then have a click through pseudo license thing that once agreeing to
it, users become automatic members of this group?

Do we have to worry about the possible rise of www.gng.org (GNG's Not GNU) ?

Does this mean that the GPL will cause the source to be forever closed, in
effect, being used against itself?

What happens when software starts getting afflicted with the so called
"GNG virus?"

Sorry to be so obtuse,

-rh