* building gcc 3.0 on sparc-sun-solaris2.8
@ 2001-07-20 10:55 Peter van Hoof
From: Peter van Hoof @ 2001-07-20 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

To whom this may concern,

When I tried to compile gcc 3.0 for my machine, certain targets would
not compile.

# ../gcc-3.0/configure --prefix=/opt/local
Configuring for a sparc-sun-solaris2.8 host.
*** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
     target-libffi target-boehm-gc target-zlib target-libjava
    (Any other directories should still work fine.)

I was surprised at this since version 2.95.1 of libjava compiled OK on
my machine. The remaining targets of gcc 3.0 compiled OK. I have not
decided yet whether I will install gcc 3.0.

Kind regards,

Peter van Hoof.
begin:vcard
n:van Hoof;Peter
tel;fax:+1-416-978-3921
tel;home:+1-416-513-1631
tel;work:+1-416-978-1777
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url: http://www.cita.utoronto.ca/~vanhoof
org:Canadian Institute for Theoretical Astrophysics;McLennan Labs, University of Toronto
adr:;;60 St. George Street;Toronto, ON M5S 3H8;;;Canada
version:2.1
email;internet:vanhoof@cita.utoronto.ca
note:Home page: http://www.cita.utoronto.ca/~vanhoof
x-mozilla-cpt:;-23928
fn:Peter van Hoof
end:vcard

* Re: building gcc 3.0 on sparc-sun-solaris2.8
@ 2001-07-22 13:29 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-07-22 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter van Hoof; +Cc: gcc

On Jul 20, 2001, Peter van Hoof <vanhoof@cita.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Configuring for a sparc-sun-solaris2.8 host.
> *** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
>      target-libffi target-boehm-gc target-zlib target-libjava
>     (Any other directories should still work fine.)

configure.in says:

      # According to Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>, libjava
      # won't build correctly on Solaris 8 if there's a
      # previously-installed version of GCC in the configured prefix.
      # This problem does not show up on earlier versions of Solaris.

--enable-libgcj should get the Java run-time built and installed.