* gcc under OS X
@ 2001-09-11 15:19 Barbara Nostrand
From: Barbara Nostrand @ 2001-09-11 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi.

I read today that there is a version of gcc around for OS X.
Can you tell me where I can get a free copy? I thought that
all gnu software was supposed to be freely available.

Best Wishes
Barbara Nostrand
SUNY - Potsdam

* Re: gcc under OS X
@ 2001-09-11 17:22 ` Stan Shebs
From: Stan Shebs @ 2001-09-11 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barbara Nostrand; +Cc: gcc

Barbara Nostrand wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I read today that there is a version of gcc around for OS X.
> Can you tell me where I can get a free copy? I thought that
> all gnu software was supposed to be freely available.

There are many versions of GCC for OS X.  The one that Apple
ships standard with OS X dev tools is based on 2.95.2, and
all the binaries are available if you register as an Apple
developer - all the info is at http://developer.apple.com .
The sources are considered part of Darwin, which is the name for
the lower levels of OS X, and they are all available for the
downloading at opensource.apple.com.

FSF GCC now supports OS X, but the sources are only in CVS at
the moment, and will be part of 3.1 when it comes out.

Apple has an extended version of current FSF GCC available in
CVS at cvs.opensource.apple.com, project "gcc3", but this is
pretty raw and new, only recommended if you want to help work
on it.

Stan Shebs
Core Tools, Apple Computer