* GCC depending on perl?
@ 2001-09-22 19:29 Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2001-09-22 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: ac131313

Hello,

I've noticed several recent changes to GCC have effectively added a
dependency on PERL.  Well, to be exact, it looks like configure probes
for perl and certain features and then adjusts the build accordingly.

This just strikes me as strange since PERL isn't listed in the tools
that can be used in a Makefile.
http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards_52.html .
I'd have only expected such a dependency to be added when something like
--enable-maintainer-mode was explicitly specified as part of the
configuration.

enjoy,
Andrew

* Re: GCC depending on perl?
@ 2001-09-27  5:39 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-09-27  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: gcc

On Sep 22, 2001, Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com> wrote:

> I've noticed several recent changes to GCC have effectively added a
> dependency on PERL.  Well, to be exact, it looks like configure probes
> for perl and certain features and then adjusts the build accordingly.

Perl is only used to build man pages.  Man pages are included in
release tarballs, so perl is not needed to build releases.  People
building off CVS are expected to have a complete build environment,
with all tools necessary to build files that are not in CVS.

> I'd have only expected such a dependency to be added when something
> like --enable-maintainer-mode was explicitly specified as part of the
> configuration.

--enable-maintainer-mode isn't described in the GNU Coding Standards
either.  We're still trying to figure out what should be
maintainer-mode and what shouldn't, to draft up a section for the GCS,
open it up for discussion, and then adjust the GCC Makefiles to
comply.  The current arrangement seems to be good enough for GCC
developers and random users, but it's certainly something people who
run the release scripts have to be concerned about, to make sure they
don't create tarballs with empty man-pages.

* Re: GCC depending on perl?
@ 2001-09-27  8:37   ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2001-09-27  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Oliva; +Cc: gcc

>> I've noticed several recent changes to GCC have effectively added a
>> dependency on PERL.  Well, to be exact, it looks like configure probes
>> for perl and certain features and then adjusts the build accordingly.
>

> Perl is only used to build man pages.  Man pages are included in
> release tarballs, so perl is not needed to build releases.  People
> building off CVS are expected to have a complete build environment,
> with all tools necessary to build files that are not in CVS.

(I know about the pre-built manpages)

A user of a distribution gets different behavour and different results
depending on if and which perl they have installed.  A distribution's
build behavour should be far more robust than that.

Andrew

* Re: GCC depending on perl?
@ 2001-09-27 10:57     ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-09-27 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: gcc

On Sep 27, 2001, Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com> wrote:

> (I know about the pre-built manpages)

> A user of a distribution gets different behavour and different results
> depending on if and which perl they have installed.

No.  If they get a release tarball, perl won't be used at all, because
the man-pages will have already been built, and their timestamps will
be correct.  The problem is when you get a CVS tarball.  You're
supposed to have a ``building environment'' for this to work, which
includes bison, autoconf, automake, perl and perhaps other tools I
forget now.  These are not necessary for releases, though.

> A distribution's build behavour should be far more robust than that.

It is more robust than that.  But that's the distribution, not the
random CVS snapshot.