* Re: Bounds checker for g++ on Linux?
@ 2001-10-05  6:21 dewar
From: dewar @ 2001-10-05  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rodrigc, ruff; +Cc: gcc

maybe this isn't *too* far afield now that the GNAT sources are available
at gnu.org :-)

It seems a pity to have to look for such tools, when other languages can
avoid the problem in the first place (of course Java can make the same
comment ...)

Note incidentally that bounds checkers (such as are built into languages
like Ada and Java, and which could be built into C++ though it is a trickier
prospect in C++) are more powerful than tools like Purify, since they operate
at the semantic level of the language rather than at the implementation level.

Now a question: I thought that gcc did have at least a project for providing
bounds checking in  g++, isn't that the case?

* Re: Bounds checker for g++ on Linux?
@ 2001-10-05 15:17 ` Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 2001-10-05 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dewar; +Cc: rodrigc, ruff, gcc

dewar@gnat.com wrote:

> maybe this isn't *too* far afield now that the GNAT sources are available
> at gnu.org :-)
>
> It seems a pity to have to look for such tools, when other languages can
> avoid the problem in the first place (of course Java can make the same
> comment ...)

And .... drum roll ... Fortran !

I believe it took Craig Burley two or three days total to build array
and string bound checking into g77 during the spring of 1999.

:-)

* Re: Bounds checker for g++ on Linux?
@ 2002-01-04 10:55 ` Greg McGary
From: Greg McGary @ 2002-01-04 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dewar; +Cc: rodrigc, ruff, gcc

dewar@gnat.com writes:

> Now a question: I thought that gcc did have at least a project for providing
> bounds checking in  g++, isn't that the case?

Yes, but it's been laying fallow for 1.5 years for lack of my time (or
for lack of funding so that I can work on it instead of other paid work):

http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/bp/main.html

Greg

* Re: Bounds checker for g++ on Linux?
@ 2001-10-06  8:15 dewar
From: dewar @ 2001-10-06  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dewar, toon; +Cc: gcc, rodrigc, ruff

<<And .... drum roll ... Fortran !

Well not really at the language level. Indeed the semantics for passing
arrays (e.g. the ability to pass a 2D array and view it as 3D in the
called subroutine) are somewhat inconsistent with a high level semantic
view of bounds checking.

But yes, indeed straightforward checking of actual low level references is
easy in Fortran, and highly desirable (such features first appeared in
the mid 1960's :-)

* Re: Bounds checker for g++ on Linux?
@ 2001-10-05  6:06 ` Craig Rodrigues
From: Craig Rodrigues @ 2001-10-05  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcel Ruff; +Cc: gcc

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 02:45:00PM +0200, Marcel Ruff wrote:
> Can anybody recommend me a free bounds checker
> (to find the source of my segmentation violation)
> which works with my configuration?

Hi,

If you can afford it, buy another machine and install
an operating system which has support for Rational
Software's Purify or Numega's Boundschecker programs.
These programs are not available for Linux, but are
excellent, and can be life savers.

If this is not an option, then you can take a look at:

NJAMD, http://sourceforge.net/projects/njamd
YAMD, http://www3.hmc.edu/~neldredge/yamd/
DMalloc, http://dmalloc.com/
ElectricFence, http://perens.org/FreeSoftware/

Insure.h++ for Linux is a commercial product available from
Parasoft, is very expensive, and I have not tried it:
http://www.parasoft.com/products/insure/index.htm
--
Craig Rodrigues
http://www.gis.net/~craigr

--
Craig Rodrigues
http://www.gis.net/~craigr

* Bounds checker for g++ on Linux?
@ 2001-10-05  5:45 Marcel Ruff
From: Marcel Ruff @ 2001-10-05  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

I am running Linux 2.4.4 and g++:

Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-suse-linux/2.95.3/specs
gcc version 2.95.3 20010315

Can anybody recommend me a free bounds checker
(to find the source of my segmentation violation)
which works with my configuration?

thanks for any hint,

Marcel

--