* PR3665 and KDE2
@ 2001-10-08 12:19 Mark Mitchell
       [not found] ` <200110082105.RAA88994@mail.acm.org>
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2001-10-08 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Franz.Sirl-kernel; +Cc: gcc

Franz --

You asked whether GCC 3.0.2 will work with KDE2.  The answer is no; we'll
just keep iterating until we get a release that does.  It's too bad that
this is still broken.  If you can send me a small test case, I'll try to
work on it for GCC 3.0.3.

You also asked about PR3665, which is a GCC 2.95.x regression.  No, I
don't think we should try to fix this for 3.0.2 at this point.  It was
already broken in GCC 3.0.  However, we should try to prepare a patch
for GCC 3.0.3.  If you are willing to do so, I will review the patch
at that time.

Thank you,

* Re: PR3665 and KDE2
@ 2001-10-08 14:03 ` Franz Sirl
       [not found] ` <200110082105.RAA88994@mail.acm.org>
From: Franz Sirl @ 2001-10-08 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Mitchell; +Cc: gcc, stefan

On Monday 08 October 2001 21:19, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> Franz --
>
> You asked whether GCC 3.0.2 will work with KDE2.  The answer is no; we'll
> just keep iterating until we get a release that does.  It's too bad that
> this is still broken.  If you can send me a small test case, I'll try to
> work on it for GCC 3.0.3.

Oops, I forgot to mention that this is PR3909, testcase included in there.
It's a pity this can't be solved in 3.0.2, it seemed to me that Nathan was
nearly there already with 3.0.1.

> You also asked about PR3665, which is a GCC 2.95.x regression.  No, I
> don't think we should try to fix this for 3.0.2 at this point.  It was
> already broken in GCC 3.0.  However, we should try to prepare a patch
> for GCC 3.0.3.  If you are willing to do so, I will review the patch
> at that time.

OK, I tried a few variations, but I probably misunderstood Jan's comment.
I'll contact him to solve this in 3.0.3.

Thanks,
Franz.

* PR3909 and KDE2
       [not found] ` <200110082105.RAA88994@mail.acm.org>
@ 2001-10-09  3:00   ` Nathan Sidwell
From: Nathan Sidwell @ 2001-10-09  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Franz Sirl; +Cc: Mark Mitchell, gcc, stefan

Franz Sirl wrote:
> Oops, I forgot to mention that this is PR3909, testcase included in there.
> It's a pity this can't be solved in 3.0.2, it seemed to me that Nathan was
> nearly there already with 3.0.1.
Yes, well what looked like a little thread to tease out turned out to pull
a large amount of stuff with it. I've got a patch against 3.1 of a few
months ago, but it is (a) too large & complex for a dot release, (b)
untested against KDE. The good news is that (a) it did fix the remaining
3145 & 3909 failures, (b) it's related to /using/ the vbase offsets,
rather than creating them.

It kind of dropped off my radar. When I built KDE, I ran into some other
problems (4206) & I wasn't really sure what failures I was looking for. My
plan is to verify it works for KDE and then incrementally install it into 3.1

nathan

--
Dr Nathan Sidwell   ::   http://www.codesourcery.com   ::   CodeSourcery LLC
         'But that's a lie.' - 'Yes it is. What's your point?'

* Re: PR3909 and KDE2
@ 2001-10-12  5:06     ` Franz Sirl
From: Franz Sirl @ 2001-10-12  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Sidwell; +Cc: Mark Mitchell, gcc, stefan

At 11:59 09.10.2001, Nathan Sidwell wrote:
>Franz Sirl wrote:
> > Oops, I forgot to mention that this is PR3909, testcase included in there.
> > It's a pity this can't be solved in 3.0.2, it seemed to me that Nathan was
> > nearly there already with 3.0.1.
>Yes, well what looked like a little thread to tease out turned out to pull
>a large amount of stuff with it. I've got a patch against 3.1 of a few
>months ago, but it is (a) too large & complex for a dot release, (b)
>untested against KDE. The good news is that (a) it did fix the remaining
>3145 & 3909 failures, (b) it's related to /using/ the vbase offsets,
>rather than creating them.

Well, is it possible to port the patch to 3.0.x for testing even if it
doesn't make it into the 3.0.x series? I don't have the resources to switch
my whole system to 3.1 in the near future :-(.

>It kind of dropped off my radar. When I built KDE, I ran into some other
>problems (4206) & I wasn't really sure what failures I was looking for. My
>plan is to verify it works for KDE and then incrementally install it into 3.1

The KDE problem is easy to recognize, if you have sound working, it's OK
(at least better than now), otherwise there are still problems. Or, if you
don't want to run all of KDE (actually you only need kdelibs and kdebase)
for testing, just start 'artsd' and then use 'artscat' and 'artsplay' (see
http://space.twc.de/~stefan/kde/arts-mcop-doc/artsbuilder/ for documentation).

Franz.