* Performance with IA64
@ 2002-02-22  1:28 Thomas Hiller
From: Thomas Hiller @ 2002-02-22  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

I tested the gcc 3.0.2 (and gcc 3.1 at that time) and got in the end a
25% degradation compared to the Win64 compiler.

Have the current 3.1 snapshots optimization for IA64 that can change the
picture ?
What are the plans to get at least near to Win64 ?

I'm using Linux on IA64.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Thomas

* Re: Performance with IA64
@ 2002-02-22 11:25 ` Steve Christiansen
From: Steve Christiansen @ 2002-02-22 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Hiller; +Cc: gcc

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 10:20:26AM +0100, Thomas Hiller wrote:

> What are the plans to get at least near to Win64 ?

Well, we have some suggestions for people willing to help.
This is more of a wish list than a plan really.

http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/ia64.html

Additions to the list are welcome too.

Steve

* Re: Performance with IA64
@ 2002-02-23 20:57 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2002-02-23 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Hiller, gcc

On Friday 22 February 2002 01:20, Thomas Hiller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tested the gcc 3.0.2 (and gcc 3.1 at that time) and got in the end a
> 25% degradation compared to the Win64 compiler.
Just curious; is there a general understanding of which compiler is meant?  I
have used only the Microsoft and Intel compilers for Windows, each of which
is in a different pricing and support model category.  I would be surprised
if there were a gcc for Win64; even more surprised if it performed better
than on linux.

> Have the current 3.1 snapshots optimization for IA64 that can change the
> picture ?
> What are the plans to get at least near to Win64 ?
>
> I'm using Linux on IA64.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Best regards,
> Thomas

* Re: Performance with IA64
@ 2002-02-25  1:50   ` Thomas Hiller
From: Thomas Hiller @ 2002-02-25  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tprince; +Cc: gcc

My comparison was between the Microsoft compiler on Win64 and the gcc on
Linux/IA64.

- Thomas