* RE: ARM support status
@ 2002-04-08  1:50 jeroen dobbelaere
From: jeroen dobbelaere @ 2002-04-08  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kgardas; +Cc: gcc

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to ask what is status of ARM support in GCC 3.1. I'm curious why
> all pages related to ARM toolchain on www.handhelds.org and on
> www.linuxdevices.com refer only about usage of gcc 2.95.2/3 and not about
> usage of 3.0.x or 3.1.

Imho, the arm support in gcc-3.0/gcc-3.1 is better than in 2.95.x.
We are using gcc-3.0.4 (+small floating point patch)
without much problems with our own LFS based (mini)-distribution.
(with xscale as target cpu)

You could take a look at the testresults <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/>
to see how gcc for arm compares to the other processors.

The only place were we are still using gcc-2.95.3+a bunch of patches
is when compiling the linux kernel.

Greetings,
--
Jeroen Dobbelaere
Embedded Software Engineer

ACUNIA Embedded Solutions
http://www.acunia.com/aes

* Re: ARM support status
@ 2002-04-08  7:16   ` Kurt Wall
From: Kurt Wall @ 2002-04-08  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Scribbling feverishly on April 08, Philip Blundell managed to emit:

> The Linux kernel can't be compiled with GCC 3.0 or later versions at
> present.  I'm not sure yet exactly what the issues are.

Beg your pardon? I'm running just such a kernel (2.4.18) compiled
with version 3.0.4 and having no issues. Boxes at work are running
2.4.7 compiled with 3.0.2.

Kurt
--
You will have a long and boring life.

* Re: ARM support status
@ 2002-04-08  4:58     ` Philip Blundell
From: Philip Blundell @ 2002-04-08  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Gardas; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 11:41, Karel Gardas wrote:
> I'm not interested in compiling linux kernel. I need gcc 3.1 because our
> c++ project is not compilable by Debian's gcc 2.95.4, I think due to
> some bug in c++ parser (I haven't reported it yet).

Debian "woody" already ships GCC 3.0 as an option.  GCC 3.1 packages
will be available shortly as well.  Either of these should work fine on
ARM.

p.

* Re: ARM support status
@ 2002-04-08  3:40   ` Karel Gardas
From: Karel Gardas @ 2002-04-08  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Blundell; +Cc: gcc

On 8 Apr 2002, Philip Blundell wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 09:03, Karel Gardas wrote:
> > I'd like to ask what is status of ARM support in GCC 3.1. I'm curious why
> > all pages related to ARM toolchain on www.handhelds.org and on
> > www.linuxdevices.com refer only about usage of gcc 2.95.2/3 and not about
> > usage of 3.0.x or 3.1.
>
> The Linux kernel can't be compiled with GCC 3.0 or later versions at
> present.  I'm not sure yet exactly what the issues are.

I'm not interested in compiling linux kernel. I need gcc 3.1 because our
c++ project is not compilable by Debian's gcc 2.95.4, I think due to
some bug in c++ parser (I haven't reported it yet).

Thanks,

Karel
--
Karel Gardas                  kgardas@objectsecurity.com

* Re: ARM support status
@ 2002-04-08  3:03 ` Philip Blundell
From: Philip Blundell @ 2002-04-08  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Gardas; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 09:03, Karel Gardas wrote:
> I'd like to ask what is status of ARM support in GCC 3.1. I'm curious why
> all pages related to ARM toolchain on www.handhelds.org and on
> www.linuxdevices.com refer only about usage of gcc 2.95.2/3 and not about
> usage of 3.0.x or 3.1.

The Linux kernel can't be compiled with GCC 3.0 or later versions at
present.  I'm not sure yet exactly what the issues are.

p.

* ARM support status
@ 2002-04-08  1:05 Karel Gardas