* difficulty using GNU Fortran
@ 2002-08-22 11:15 Tom Tuttle
From: Tom Tuttle @ 2002-08-22 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

  I am a new user of GNU Fortran. I find myself in need of help but am
not sure of how to locate it, hence this e-mail. I am one of
only two users of Fortran at Brandeis that I know of. I may be unique
here in that my interest now is in reconstituting Fortran
programs, which I wrote for our old VAX computer many years ago, using
GNU Fortran g77 and gdb on a Linux operated machine.
My colleague has learned Fortran using g77 on a computer using Unix. He
is generally very helpful but is often away. Because
there is no other Fortran support on campus I am looking off campus for
source(s) of such support.

    The programs that I have compiled so far with g77 have compiled
successfully with only minor changes in some I/O statements.
However, I have run into an intractable, though probably trivial,
problem with the OPEN statement in using it to read data from a
direct access data file. A program, written explicitly to test the OPEN
statement, which compiles fine with g77 does not run properly
to completion using gdb. Rather upon submitting the file name to the
computer the program aborts with the message that no such file
exists even though that data file is in the working directory. I am
investigating the possibility that the unit identification number
provided in the OPEN statement is 'wrong'. Somehow I doubt that this is
the problem.

    I recount the above to indicate the primitive nature of my current
difficulty. Nevertheless, the difficulty is real and help I might
receive would be greatly appreciated in whatever form seems appropriate.

Tom Tuttle

* Re: difficulty using GNU Fortran
@ 2002-08-22 12:36 ` Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 2002-08-22 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)