* Does gcc works as a cross compiler to 8031 micro controllers ?
@ 2002-08-25 22:49 Somasekhar_K
From: Somasekhar_K @ 2002-08-25 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

	Hi All

	Does gcc works as a cross compiler to 8031 and its family micro
controllers ?
	If it supports , what are the different switches to use to generate
ASM file from C , ASM file to HEX file ?

	Thanks in advance.
	Regards
	Somasekhar

is appreciated.

* Re: Does gcc works as a cross compiler to 8031 micro controllers ?
@ 2002-08-27 13:07 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2002-08-27 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Somasekhar_K; +Cc: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

>Does gcc works as a cross compiler to 8031 and its family micro
>controllers ?

Part numbers alone are ambiguous.  I assume you mean the Intel 8031 aka the
MCS 51 family.  No.  There is no support for the Intel 8031.  Support would
be impractical, as gcc isn't designed to support 8-bit microcontrollers.

Jim

* Re: Does gcc works as a cross compiler to 8031 micro controllers?
@ 2002-08-27 13:16   ` Dave Hudson
From: Dave Hudson @ 2002-08-27 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Wilson; +Cc: Somasekhar_K, 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

Hi Jim,

@ 2002-08-27 14:12     ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2002-08-27 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Hudson; +Cc: Somasekhar_K, 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

Dave Hudson <dave@cyclicode.net> writes:
> Hi Jim,
> While 8031/8051 processors are problematic I think your statement
> isn't strictly correct

Yes, you are right.  My statement was overly broad.  I was just trying to give
a simple answer to a simple question, and not get bogged down in all of the
details.  The poor guy got flamed for something beyond his control, so it was
only decent of us to give him a real answer.

I am not familiar with the AVR, 68hc11, and IP2022.  The H8 family is a mixed
8/16 bit part.  It has 8 16-bit registers, and thus isn't too bad as a gcc
target.  Looking at the 68hc11 port, I see that it has some 16-bit registers,
so it doesn't look like an 8-bit microcontroller to me, it looks like a
mixed 8/16 bit part.  Maybe we need a definition of what exactly an 8-bit
microcontroller is?

While it is certainly possible to emit code for some 8-bit microcontrollers,
I'd argue that it isn't worth the trouble.  The quality of code you get is
so bad that you would be better off writing in assembly language.  Also, you
have to take so many liberties with the C standard that you really aren't
writing C code anymore.

Jim

* Re: Does gcc works as a cross compiler to 8031 micro controllers?
@ 2002-08-27 15:32       ` Dave Hudson
From: Dave Hudson @ 2002-08-27 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Wilson; +Cc: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

Hi Jim,

@ 2002-08-27 15:55       ` Daniel Egger
From: Daniel Egger @ 2002-08-27 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Wilson; +Cc: Dave Hudson, Somasekhar_K, 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

Am Die, 2002-08-27 um 23.11 schrieb Jim Wilson:

> Looking at the 68hc11 port, I see that it has some 16-bit registers,
> so it doesn't look like an 8-bit microcontroller to me, it looks like a
> mixed 8/16 bit part.

I vaguely recall the 68hc11 being a m68k core with embedded UARTS and
RAM/ROM/EEPROM depending on the exact type and as such it would
basically be a 16bit microcontroller (probably without the 24bit
addressbus of the m68k), but this is all IIRC.... :)

--

* Re: Does gcc works as a cross compiler to 8031 micro controllers ?
@ 2002-08-26 17:30     ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2002-08-26 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Buck; +Cc: Geoff Keating, Richard Kenner, gcc, per

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 05:22:54PM -0700, Joe Buck wrote:
> It shouldn't be our job to do
> a legal analysis to determine whether some threatening boilerplate is our
> problem or not: sending people this kind of threat is just hostile and
> volunteers should not be subjected to it.
>
> Instead, let's just solicit volunteers to write patches to .procmailrc or
> whatever system gcc.gnu.org is using for spam protection, to bounce such
> messages from our mailing lists.

This approach was proposed earlier this month on overseers (see archives
for the 8th), but I don't think anybody's had time to do it.

Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002

* Re: Does gcc works as a cross compiler to 8031 micro controllers ?
@ 2002-08-26 17:22   ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2002-08-26 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoff Keating; +Cc: Richard Kenner, gcc, per

> > Although it is indeed annoying, it actually isn't a problem since sending
> > something to the GCC list means the message is *intended* to be public,
> > so the prohibition has no practical significance.
>
> In the boiler-plate, you'll see that there's wording that contemplates
> the message having been accidentally sent to its recipients, in this
> case a public list.

Sigh.  Let's not argue about the legalities; it suffices that every time
someone posts one of these messages, a lot of us get distracted arguing
about them and they are annoying as can be.  It shouldn't be our job to do
a legal analysis to determine whether some threatening boilerplate is our
problem or not: sending people this kind of threat is just hostile and
volunteers should not be subjected to it.

Instead, let's just solicit volunteers to write patches to .procmailrc or
whatever system gcc.gnu.org is using for spam protection, to bounce such
messages from our mailing lists.  The filter does not have to be perfect,
just good enough to send a clear message that we don't want such messages.
If this prevents someone from communicating with us, let him/her take it
up with the company lawyers or get a yahoo or hotmail account.  These
messages tend to all look much the same, so only a few patterns might do
the job.

* Re: Does gcc works as a cross compiler to 8031 micro controllers ?
@ 2002-08-26 14:38 ` Geoff Keating
From: Geoff Keating @ 2002-08-26 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Kenner; +Cc: gcc, per

kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner) writes:

>     I am sorry, but it seems we are not allowed to review your
>     message, so we cannot respond to it.
>
>     Please do not post confidential material to public mailing lists.  We
>     realize this is boiler-plate added by your mailer, but that is not our
>     problem.  Our problem is that all messages to the gcc list are
>     archived, and this builer-plate seems to prohibit that.  There is
>     serious talk about automatically bouncing messages with this kind of
>     legal nonsense.
>
> Although it is indeed annoying, it actually isn't a problem since sending
> something to the GCC list means the message is *intended* to be public,
> so the prohibition has no practical significance.

In the boiler-plate, you'll see that there's wording that contemplates
the message having been accidentally sent to its recipients, in this
case a public list.  Since the message also claims to be "private and
confidential", the first guess would have to be that indeed it's not
supposed to be public.  Who would send a message clearly marked as
private and confidential to a public list?

Since there's no way for us to know whether the message was really
supposed to be public and has the boiler-plate by accident, or the
boiler-plate is correct and the message has been made public
accidentally, the safest course is to follow the instructions in the
message and immediately delete all copies of it.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org> <geoffk@redhat.com>

* Re: Does gcc works as a cross compiler to 8031 micro controllers ?
@ 2002-08-26 13:58 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2002-08-26 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: per; +Cc: gcc

@ 2002-08-26 12:33 ` Per Bothner