From: Stan Shebs <shebs@apple.com>
To: Richard Henderson <rth@redhat.com>
Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: deprecate i960 now?
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 11:44:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Richard Henderson wrote:

>It seems that gdb obseleted i960 on 2002-08-22.  This makes it
>fairly painful for gcc folk to test on i960, since that killed
>the simulator as well.
>
>I propose that we follow suit and add i960 to the deprecated list
>for 3.3 so that it is removed in 3.4.
>
>Thoughts?

You could use Intel's GDB perhaps, since they suggest it in their
massive collection of i960 info at http://www.intel.com/design/i960.

It would be somewhat of a departure to move from obsoleting long-dead
architectures to taking away ones that, in Intel's words (in their
FAQ) are still shipping in "high volumes".

Although I don't have any personal stake in i960 support, I'm a little
troubled by the idea of dropping embedded targets that are still
supported by proprietary compilers.  It makes it easy for the
proprietaries to point to the dropping of targets as a reason not
to use GNU for any target, because of the risk of arbitrary decisions
like this.  Chucking a never-taped-out oddball like the d30v doesn't
matter, but for a still-used processor like the i960 it really seems
like a retreat.

Stan