* dynamic/shared libraries for darwin?
@ 2003-02-16 18:56 Andreas Tobler
From: Andreas Tobler @ 2003-02-16 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC

Hi,

is anybody working on dynamic libraries for darwin? (c, c++ ....)
I see in newer libtool.m4 some support for shared/dynamic liraries. But
afaik this only works with more recent autoconf than we use in gcc.

Is this the only part which is missing ? Or, I guess, there must be some
more hurdles? (code must also be shared library capable/clean?)

I wanted to try some dynamic libraries for libffi, but then I have to
replace at least the libtool.m4 in the gcc top dir. And this may screw
up things up to non usability. I could try, but I'd like to hear some
opinions on this.

Do apple people plan such dylibs on gcc level? Or is this a future
future wish list item?

Thanks for any hint.

Andreas

* Re: dynamic/shared libraries for darwin?
@ 2003-02-16 19:24 ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2003-02-16 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Tobler; +Cc: GCC

On Sunday, February 16, 2003, at 08:17  AM, Andreas Tobler wrote:
> is anybody working on dynamic libraries for darwin?

C (such as libgcc) might be reasonable. But bear in mind, we have
binary compatibilities requirements that span decades, not just one
major release.  We avoided shipping C++ libraries in the past as we
didn't have the resources and time to devote to the problem.  In fact,
we avoid C++ system libraries, as it isn't abi stable.

I don't think anyone around here it doing much.

* Re: dynamic/shared libraries for darwin?
@ 2003-02-16 19:57   ` Andreas Tobler
From: Andreas Tobler @ 2003-02-16 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stump; +Cc: GCC

Mike Stump wrote:
> On Sunday, February 16, 2003, at 08:17  AM, Andreas Tobler wrote:
>
>> is anybody working on dynamic libraries for darwin?
>

> C (such as libgcc) might be reasonable. But bear in mind, we have binary
> compatibilities requirements that span decades, not just one major
> release.  We avoided shipping C++ libraries in the past as we didn't
> have the resources and time to devote to the problem.  In fact, we avoid
> C++ system libraries, as it isn't abi stable.

I remember back a mail from Stan about that.

> I don't think anyone around here it doing much.

Ok, I see. But what would be the steps to start with dynamic libs for
libffi, boehm, libgcj? In boehm there is some preliminary support in the
next release. Needs some coding though. For libffi I guess I would be
the one who should start? And in the same turn also for libgcj.
In these three you don't have compatibilities ;)

Andreas