* Re: spam list ...was GCC 3.2.2 build error on Solaris 9 x86
@ 2003-02-19 13:44 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2003-02-19 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: allen, jeff; +Cc: gcc, jbuck, pfeifer, spamlist1

We have eliminated 100% of SPAM (well to be fair 3 got through last year) from
our report@gnat.com mailing list at ACT by the simple mechanism of requiring
a specific string in the subject line. If this string is not there, we send back
a message explaining our policy, so that if there is a human at the other end,
the message can be resent.

* Re: spam list ...was GCC 3.2.2 build error on Solaris 9 x86
@ 2003-02-21  8:28 ` Allen Gwinn
From: Allen Gwinn @ 2003-02-21  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Dewar; +Cc: jeff, gcc, jbuck, pfeifer, spamlist1

Yes, this is probably a very good way to do it.  An affiliate's site won't accept
email from you unless it knows you.  The way it finds out that you're OK is to send
a reply to you asking you to confirm your first piece of email.  Since most spammers
are "drop and go" with invalid reply-to's, spam is effectively filtered.

There's no silver bullet--but there are things you can do to reduce it.  The best
thing on the net is Spamcop.net.  The next best thing is mail-abuse.org's RBL.
Maybe as time progresses, and people's email boxes become unusable, the issue will
be solved through a combination of technical and legislative.

Thanks for the input.

Allen

       [not found]               ` <20030220184525.A15852@synopsys.com>
@ 2003-02-21  8:37                 ` Allen Gwinn
From: Allen Gwinn @ 2003-02-21  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Buck; +Cc: J.D. Bronson, Gerald Pfeifer, gcc, spamlist1

Hi Joe,

Joe Buck wrote:

> But you block anyone in the whole country who chooses to use the national
> domain, not just dialups.  This would be OK if you didn't publish the list
> for others to use with the false claim that it is a good spam-blocking
> list.  Many of our active developers use domains that you are blocking.
>
> For that reason, I strongly recommend that people interested in
> spam-blocking lists use someone else's list, not yours.

But it *is* a good spam blocking list, and I don't force anyone to use it.  People are
always free to tweak it (as we suggest) for their own needs.

I've been giving alot of thought about breaking the list up into sections, and producing
them in a text-based format where downloads can be automated.  That way, people can pick
and choose what they want.  If they only want to block China and Korea, they'll be able to
do that.

I'm sorry we have the disagreement, but we'll just have to agree to disagree!

Allen

* Re: spam list ...was GCC 3.2.2 build error on Solaris 9 x86
       [not found]           ` <20030219153719.A18720@synopsys.com>
@ 2003-02-21  2:54             ` Allen Gwinn
       [not found]               ` <20030220184525.A15852@synopsys.com>
From: Allen Gwinn @ 2003-02-21  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Buck; +Cc: J.D. Bronson, Gerald Pfeifer, gcc, spamlist1

Hi Joe,

That is absolutely not true.  I've blacklisted top level domains from which we've
never received a legitimate piece of email.  Most of it is dialups.  Most legitimate
mail originates from .com's, or .org's, or other top levels--same as in the U.S.

I wish I had a way to blacklist U.S. dialups.  We try to do it with the
mail-abuse.org DUL.  However, they pop up quicker than the issue can be addressed.

Thanks for the note, and we love the Swiss!  We just don't want spam from your
dialups.

Allen

@ 2003-02-19 13:29         ` Allen Gwinn
       [not found]           ` <20030219153719.A18720@synopsys.com>
From: Allen Gwinn @ 2003-02-19 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J.D. Bronson; +Cc: Joe Buck, Gerald Pfeifer, gcc, spamlist1

Greetings,

While the solution is rather draconian, very little legitimate mail originates
from the listed domains.  Those that resolve ptrs to a .com or .org, in those
countries, are not affected (unless we have a block of address space listed).  As
everyone knows, Korea and China are extremely friendly toward spammers.  We did
an exhaustive audit over the period of several months on several different
servers.  We did not blacklist anything from which we had gotten legitimate
email.

Given Gerald's complaint, I went back and checked logs for the past month.  So
far, we've received about 70 pieces of spam from .at all destined for our domreg
account.  Virtually all of it originated from one of the following 3 domains:

.liwest.at
.surfer.at
.teleweb.at

In the interest of maintaining good international relations with "one of three
countries on the planet with the strongest anti-SPAM laws" (sorry, :) couldn't
resist the jab--you know us filthy Americans), we will revise the list to reflect
those domains.

In all seriousness, I would welcome help with the list.  Excuse me: I would
WELCOME help!  We created this list to solve a problem at a handful of servers.
It has worked out well--with a miniscule 3 specific exceptions.  Even so, I would
welcome assistance in fine tuning it (or coming up with procedures to maintain
it).

Thanks,

Allen

       [not found]     ` <20030218095944.C9933@synopsys.com>