* Turning off gcov build for embedded processor
@ 2003-03-13 11:14 Dan Towner
From: Dan Towner @ 2003-03-13 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi all,

I am writing a gcc port for an embedded processor. The processor will
not be able to support gcov, and currently cannot build the gcov program
at all. However, the configure and build mechanism always try to make
gcov, and hence always fail. Is there a way I can stop the
configure/build mechanism from building gcov?

Thanks,

Dan.

Daniel Towner
picoChip Designs Ltd., Riverside Buildings, 108, Walcot Street, BATH,
BA1 5BG
dant@picochip.com
07786 702589

* Re: Turning off gcov build for embedded processor
@ 2003-03-13 12:35 ` Nathan Sidwell
From: Nathan Sidwell @ 2003-03-13 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Towner; +Cc: gcc

Dan Towner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am writing a gcc port for an embedded processor. The processor will
> not be able to support gcov, and currently cannot build the gcov program
> at all. However, the configure and build mechanism always try to make
> gcov, and hence always fail. Is there a way I can stop the
> configure/build mechanism from building gcov?
not at the moment. You'd have to add a --disable-coverage option to
configure, and then propagate it into Makefile.in to DTRT.

Can you not fix gcov so it compiles?

nathan
          The voices in my head said this was stupid too
nathan@codesourcery.com : http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~nathan/ : nathan@acm.org

* Re: Turning off gcov build for embedded processor
@ 2003-03-13 13:01   ` Dan Towner
From: Dan Towner @ 2003-03-13 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Sidwell; +Cc: gcc

Nathan,

> Dan Towner wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am writing a gcc port for an embedded processor. The processor will
>> not be able to support gcov, and currently cannot build the gcov
>> program at all. However, the configure and build mechanism always try
>> to make gcov, and hence always fail. Is there a way I can stop the
>> configure/build mechanism from building gcov?
>
> not at the moment. You'd have to add a --disable-coverage option to
> configure, and then propagate it into Makefile.in to DTRT.
>
> Can you not fix gcov so it compiles?

I guess I will have to. The problem is that the code uses stdio, malloc,
free, and whole reams of other library functions that we don't support
on our embedded processor. Though of course, we don't need to create the
actual functions, just make it appear as though we have.

@ 2003-03-13 14:47     ` Nathan Sidwell
From: Nathan Sidwell @ 2003-03-13 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Towner; +Cc: gcc

Dan Towner wrote:

> I guess I will have to. The problem is that the code uses stdio, malloc,
> free, and whole reams of other library functions that we don't support
> on our embedded processor. Though of course, we don't need to create the
> actual functions, just make it appear as though we have.
ah, yes the stuff in libgcc. I don't know if your tracking 3.3 or CVS head.
Head has broken those out into a libgcov, so it might make sense to add
configurey stuff to disable it. That'd be better than simply having
empty function stubs -- you'll get a link error, rather than being confused
when you get no coverage information. Just have it keyed on the target
triplet in the appropriate place - or maybe have a makefile fragment in
gcc/config/picochip directory, to override some suitable make variable.