* help: how to "quick rebuild" gcc ?
@ 2003-05-23  6:06 Long Fei
From: Long Fei @ 2003-05-23  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I am modifying some gcc source files ...
Can anybody tell me how to "quick rebuild" gcc (i.e. rebuild only modified
source files) instead of starting from "make bootstrap" everytime ?

thanks,

* Re: help: how to "quick rebuild" gcc ?
@ 2003-05-23 14:34 ` Kelley Cook
From: Kelley Cook @ 2003-05-23 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lfei, gcc

> I am modifying some gcc source files ...
> Can anybody tell me how to "quick rebuild" gcc (i.e. rebuild only modified
> source files) instead of starting from "make bootstrap" everytime ?
>
> thanks,

'make quickstrap" usually will usually accomplish what you're requesting.

* Re: help: how to "quick rebuild" gcc ?
@ 2003-05-23 19:09 ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2003-05-23 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Long Fei; +Cc: gcc

On Thursday, May 22, 2003, at 10:51 PM, Long Fei wrote:
> I am modifying some gcc source files ...
> Can anybody tell me how to "quick rebuild" gcc (i.e. rebuild only
> modified
> source files) instead of starting from "make bootstrap" everytime ?

cd build-tree/gcc

make -j2 cc1plus

or

make -j2 cc1

is not an uncommon way to do this.  Takes 15 seconds on my machine.

* Re: help: how to "quick rebuild" gcc ?
@ 2003-05-23 19:42   ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2003-05-23 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mrs; +Cc: lfei, gcc

> > source files) instead of starting from "make bootstrap" everytime ?
>
> make -j2 cc1
> is not an uncommon way to do this.  Takes 15 seconds on my machine.

Except it won't do what you expect, because it won't use the stageN
compiler to build stage N+1.  That's what quickstrap and bubblestrap
are for - they know what the bootstrap state is, and use the right
compiler to recompile.