From: Toon Moene <toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl>
To: "Steven G. Kargl" <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc: Bud Davis <bdavis9659@comcast.net>, gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: g77 compiles illegal code in testsuite?
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 22:57:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Steven G. Kargl wrote:

> It's Toon's call, but I think g77 should issue an error and
> abort.  The g77 info contains a -fno-ugly-args option.  I
> would think you should need -fugly-args to compile the code
> in question.

I think I agree with that stance.

>>Of course, IMHO, g95 should be backwards compatable with g77 :)

> This may not happen, because Fortran 95 has deleted a few
> features from Fortran 77.

Ah yes, the language has.  However, as compiler writers we could decide
to include the complete language g77 compiles into the language g95
compiles.

This would have the obvious benefit of making g77 superfluous and
reducing our maintenance burden.

GNU Fortran 95: http://gcc-g95.sourceforge.net/ (under construction)