From: Lars Segerlund <lars.segerlund@comsys.se>
To: Joe Buck <jbuck@synopsys.com>, gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: processor architects say it's hard to work with us?
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 07:47:00 -0000	[thread overview]

  Look at Cray for example, he minimized his designs, even introducing
the notorious +0 -0 , and no division operation only 1/x in order to get
all the speed he could get from minimal hardware, the point I am trying
to make is that if you got simple hardware and no stalls !!! whatsoever
!!! It's likely to move even if it's not that fast, ( look at cray again
). ( I choose cray just to point out these two features, and because
theyre well known, no religion).

  Today I believe that a lot of the advanced features like vector
processing, different forms of SIMD and such are just making it's way
into 'generic' infrastructure for compilers and other tools.

  A lot of grief seem's to have gone into preventing stalls, prefetching
and different forms of register allocation strategies, but now there
seem to be a bit of general support for what's needed to make use of
these advanced features.

  So IMHO, compilers are catching up to the best of breed 'ad hoc'
target specific compilers of the 60's and 70's, which is no mean feat
cosidering that they are using a generic infrastructure and a lot safer
'theoretical' ground to stand on.

  So as stated below, I believe that if anything the infrastructure to
support advanced processor specific features must 'be there' since that
is likely to be a large part of the problem.

  / Regards, Lars Segerlund.