* Re: Obsoleting unmaintained targets
@ 2003-12-03 13:35 DANIEL NORMAN HARRIS
From: DANIEL NORMAN HARRIS @ 2003-12-03 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Dear Jim;
I don't know what this message is all about. I could play the Emperor's new
Clothes with you, but so far as I can tell you are on about accessing
features in some sort of code you mean to change. I am interested in getting
a FORTRAN that runs in Win95. You can probably tell me what wonderful things
your site does as well when there is a download link for that module. I am
not averse to having new knowledge. I had initially to force myself to look
at Linux and have install diskettes but am not brave enough to put it into a
computer as yet. Maybe one day I will have the guts, but what I have is what
I use, not what I meddle with. GNU is compared to Linux, how and in what way
is not certain to me. Why not fill me in on what fabulous wonders are
enabled by the GNU system?
From: Jim Wilson @ 2003-12-04  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DANIEL NORMAN HARRIS; +Cc: gcc

DANIEL NORMAN HARRIS wrote:
> features in some sort of code you mean to change. I am interested in getting
> a FORTRAN that runs in Win95.

See
	http://www.cygwin.com
	http://www.mingw.org
for two different projects that support gcc running on MS Windows.  The
first one provides a large POSIX (Unix like) environment.  The second
one provides a minimal environment, relying more on MS libraries.  They
both provide binaries for downloading.

* Re: Obsoleting unmaintained targets
@ 2003-12-04  0:06   ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2003-12-04  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emmanuel R. Matuco; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 07:07:19AM +0800, Emmanuel R. Matuco wrote:
> Really much thanks for sharing me this development.
> I never thought, a small-time student of programming like me would be
> given equal attention. Until now I haven't been successful in
> downloading the gcc c compiler. Am still lost in navigating my way on
> how to download it.

You go to the gcc.gnu.org website and look on the left, under
the "Download" heading.

But you don't click on anything yet.  First you go up a little
bit, to the "Installation" heading, and read that first.

by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
    - Brian W. Kernighan

* RE: Obsoleting unmaintained targets
@ 2003-12-03 23:07 ` Emmanuel R. Matuco
From: Emmanuel R. Matuco @ 2003-12-03 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Really much thanks for sharing me this development.
I never thought, a small-time student of programming like me would be
given equal attention. Until now I haven't been successful in
downloading the gcc c compiler. Am still lost in navigating my way on
how to download it.

Really much thanks for your care in sharing this email.
Take care.

@ 2003-12-03 10:16   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2003-12-03 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurélie; +Cc: gcc

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Aurélie wrote:
> unsubscribe !

Subscription and unsubscription are self-service:
  http://gcc.gnu.org/lists.html#subscribe

We do not subscribe anyone by ourselves, which means that you must have
subscribed yourself.

Gerald

* Re: Obsoleting unmaintained targets
@ 2003-12-03  8:47 ` Aurélie
From: Aurélie @ 2003-12-03  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

unsubscribe !

@ 2003-12-03  1:13 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2003-12-03  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chewbaccathewookie; +Cc: gcc

chewbaccathewookie@att.net wrote:
> Hello from Gregg C Levine
> Actually yes. I see a need for the Big Foot one, thats i370, and the Intel
> i960. For example for the i960 I do have a processor here, been shopping for
> a board for it, for a while now.  As for the i370 one, isn't that the core
> for  building s/390 based kernel? There should be one for i390 instead then.

The i960 gcc port has been broken for about 3 and a half years now, and
the gdb support has already been deleted.  Maintaining a compiler port
is a lot of work.  It isn't practical for us to maintain the port for
one person who has one processor.  You can try using a gcc-2.x compiler
for i960 work.  It should work fine.  It just won't have all of the new
gcc features.  There are also binaries for a modified gcc toolchain
available for download from the Intel web site.  (Or at least there used
to be.)

There are i370 and s390 ports.  The i370 has been unmaintained for a
long time.  The s390 port is the one that is used to build the s390
toolchains.  It is not affected by this change.

* Re: Obsoleting unmaintained targets
@ 2003-12-03  1:08 ` Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 2003-12-03  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chewbaccathewookie; +Cc: gcc

chewbaccathewookie@att.net wrote:

>Hello from Gregg C Levine
>Actually yes. I see a need for the Big Foot one, thats i370, and the Intel
>i960. For example for the i960 I do have a processor here, been shopping for
>a board for it, for a while now.  As for the i370 one, isn't that the core
>for  building s/390 based kernel? There should be one for i390 instead then.
>Just my two cents.

Someone more familiar with the i370/i390 distinction can explain the
rationale behind that one.

The i960 has bene on the chopping block for a fairly long time and the
Steering Committee has
made extra effort to attempt to find a maintainer.  No one appeared.
The i960 port has been
broken for a long time.  See:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2001-07/msg00257.html

In addition, it has already been obsoleted by gdb and that didn't cause
much noise either. :)

So unless you are volunteering to fix gcc and gdb and maintain them by
yourself, there isn't
much alternative.  Sorry.

--joel sherrill

@ 2003-12-03  0:04 chewbaccathewookie