* Please mention the CVS parameter has changed in the web page explicitly. Also a GCC source mirror?
@ 2004-01-21  6:10 Chiaki
From: Chiaki @ 2004-01-21  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

For the last two months (maybe one months, but couting back, I think
it is more like 6-7 weeks and close to 2 months), I could not
access GCC CVS tree successfully.

I was hacking GCC's error output routine and so being unable to
access the latest CVS tree was rather annoying and actually hampers
my efforts to merge my hacked code with the latest CVS code.

I wondered if other people experienced similar problems.
From what I read in the gcc-patches mailing lists, it seemed
that the business was as usual and so I figured
maybe it was a network problem or something on my end.

However, after almost two months, the inability to update
my local CVS tree for two months is too much.
So  I began investigating again.
Firstly, I tried to see if there was some change
to CVS setup.
To my surprise, I found that the CVS parameter seems to have changed.
I used to use
TARGET="-d :pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/gcc"
for cvs command but now
the parameter value is listed as
:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/gcc

I have used the previous value since early 2003 successfully until
last November. So I was a little surprised at the change.
It would be great if the

	 http://gcc.gnu.org/cvs.html

page mentions the change more explicitly (and
mentions when the change became effective.). It could be that I missed
the announcement somewhere, but recording the change explicitly would
help certainly.

Now that is one thing.

Even after the parameter change,
the network problem or access problem still persists.
Here is the short snippet from my attempt.

ishikawa$duron $ cvs -z 9 -d :ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/gcc
update
savannah.gnu.org: Connection timed out
cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if
any)
ishikawa@duron$

It is as if the savannah CVS port were protected by a firewall that
blocks IP subnet where my PC is located (I am using ISDN dialup PPP
connection).

Is there a usable mirror of GCC CVS source somewhere?

Happy Hacking,

--
int main(void){int j=2003;/*(c)2003 cishikawa. */
char t[] ="<CI> @abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.,\n\"";

* Re: Please mention the CVS parameter has changed in the web page explicitly. Also a GCC source mirror?
@ 2004-01-21  7:10 ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2004-01-21  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chiaki; +Cc: gcc

Chiaki <ishikawa@yk.rim.or.jp> writes:
> For the last two months (maybe one months, but couting back, I think
> it is more like 6-7 weeks and close to 2 months), I could not
> access GCC CVS tree successfully.
[...]

The mirror at savannah.gnu.org (aka subversions.gnu.org) was taken
offline because that machine was broken into.  We *thought* it was
back up again (and that both names worked) but we might be wrong about
that.

You should get CVS write access (didn't we discuss this last year?)
then you can use CVS-over-SSH to the master server.  Instructions for
requesting CVS write access are at http://gcc.gnu.org/cvswrite.html;
you may say I authorized this.

zw

* Re: Please mention the CVS parameter has changed in the web page explicitly. Also a GCC source mirror?
@ 2004-01-21  7:24   ` Chiaki
From: Chiaki @ 2004-01-21  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zack Weinberg; +Cc: gcc

Zack Weinberg wrote:
> Chiaki <ishikawa@yk.rim.or.jp> writes:
>
>>For the last two months (maybe one months, but couting back, I think
>>it is more like 6-7 weeks and close to 2 months), I could not
>>access GCC CVS tree successfully.
>
> [...]
>
> The mirror at savannah.gnu.org (aka subversions.gnu.org) was taken
> offline because that machine was broken into.  We *thought* it was
> back up again (and that both names worked) but we might be wrong about
> that.

(looks to me only the CVS access is closed at this moment.
The CVSweb page, etc. works at the host.

> You should get CVS write access (didn't we discuss this last year?)
> then you can use CVS-over-SSH to the master server.  Instructions for
> requesting CVS write access are at http://gcc.gnu.org/cvswrite.html;
> you may say I authorized this.

Will do. Thank you. Hopefully, I can merge the local hack once
I get the latest CVS source. I needed to check what the original source
did and I no longer have the original :-(

--

@ 2004-01-21 14:27   ` Kelley Cook
From: Kelley Cook @ 2004-01-21 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > The mirror at savannah.gnu.org (aka subversions.gnu.org) was taken
 > offline because that machine was broken into.  We *thought* it was
 > back up again (and that both names worked) but we might be wrong about
 > that.

I believe that our instructions for accessing Savannah are missing a few
steps which any GCC developers likely wouldn't have noticed, since they
were already required for our cvs write access.

a) You must have SSHv2 installed.
b) You must set CVS_RSH="ssh".

Here is an update for our webdocs.  Passes validator.w3.org.

OK to install?

[-- Attachment #2: cvs.html.patch --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2085 bytes --]

2004-01-21  Kelley Cook  <kcook@gcc.gnu.org>

	* cvs.html: Update savannah checkout instructions.

*** cvs.html.orig	Wed Jan 21 08:49:25 2004
--- cvs.html	Wed Jan 21 09:17:59 2004
***************
*** 28,47 ****

  <h2>Using the CVS repository</h2>

! you can check out the GCC sources as follows:</p>

! <p>Set CVSROOT in your environment to
! <code>:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/gcc</code>.
! Alternately add
! <code>-d :ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/gcc</code>

! <p>Issue the command </p>
! to check out the compiler sources, and
! <p>to check out our web pages, respectively.</p>

  contact savannah-hackers@gnu.org.</p>
--- 28,52 ----

  <h2>Using the CVS repository</h2>

! <p><b>In November 2003, these instructions were changed due to an attack on
! the Free Software Foundation's site.</b></p>

! and <a href="http://www.openssh.com/">SSHv2</a> installed,
! you can check out the GCC sources as follows:</p>

! <ol type="i">
!  <li>Set CVSROOT in your environment to
!      <code>:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/gcc</code>.&nbsp;
!      Alternately add
!      <code>-d :ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/gcc</code>
!      the compiler sources.</li>
!      if you also wish a local copy of our web pages.</li>
! </ol>

@ 2004-01-21 15:29     ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2004-01-21 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Kelley Cook wrote:
> I believe that our instructions for accessing Savannah are missing a few
> steps which any GCC developers likely wouldn't have noticed, since they
> were already required for our cvs write access.
>
> a) You must have SSHv2 installed.
> b) You must set CVS_RSH="ssh".

This patch is mostly fine, thanks.

Some issues I noticed: Please do not link to any SSH implementation and
use the term "SSH2 protocol".  (In fact, I'd simply omit that -- hardly
any client these days does not support SSH2, so this may confuse more
users than it helps.)

The update of the page you refer to happened in January this year.

Both items 3 and 4 are optional, in the sense that one doesn't need to
do 3 to do 4.  I suggest to merge these two items and use the original
wording (or something like that).

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)   gerald@pfeifer.com   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/

* Re: Please mention the CVS parameter has changed in the web page
@ 2004-01-21 16:47       ` Kelley Cook
From: Kelley Cook @ 2004-01-21 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > Some issues I noticed: Please do not link to any SSH implementation
 > and use the term "SSH2 protocol".  (In fact, I'd simply omit that --
 > hardly any client these days does not support SSH2, so this may
 > confuse more users than it helps.)
 >
 > The update of the page you refer to happened in January this year.
 >
 > Both items 3 and 4 are optional, in the sense that one doesn't need to
 > do 3 to do 4.  I suggest to merge these two items and use the original
 > wording (or something like that).

Jerry,

Does this version address your concerns?

KC

[-- Attachment #2: cvs.html.patch --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2125 bytes --]

2004-01-21  Kelley Cook  <kcook@gcc.gnu.org>

	* cvs.html: Update savannah checkout instructions.

*** cvs.html.orig	Wed Jan 21 08:49:25 2004
--- cvs.html	Wed Jan 21 11:42:09 2004
***************
*** 28,47 ****

  <h2>Using the CVS repository</h2>

! you can check out the GCC sources as follows:</p>

! <p>Set CVSROOT in your environment to
! <code>:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/gcc</code>.
! Alternately add
! <code>-d :ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/gcc</code>

! <p>Issue the command </p>
! to check out the compiler sources, and
! <p>to check out our web pages, respectively.</p>

  contact savannah-hackers@gnu.org.</p>
--- 28,52 ----

  <h2>Using the CVS repository</h2>

! <p><b>In January 2004, these instructions were modified to reflect security
! changes implemented after an attack on the Free Software Foundation's
! site.</b></p>

! and SSH installed, you can check out the GCC sources as follows:</p>

! <ol type="i">
!  <li>Set CVSROOT in your environment to
!      <code>:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/gcc</code>.&nbsp;
!      Alternately add
!      <code>-d :ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/gcc</code>
!      will check out both modules in our cvs repository.&nbsp;
!      Module <code>gcc</code> is the compilier source while module
! </ol>

@ 2004-01-21 16:54       ` Chiaki
From: Chiaki @ 2004-01-21 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Kelley Cook wrote:
>
>>I believe that our instructions for accessing Savannah are missing a few
>>steps which any GCC developers likely wouldn't have noticed, since they
>>were already required for our cvs write access.
>>
>>a) You must have SSHv2 installed.
>>b) You must set CVS_RSH="ssh".

The item (b) above was crucial.

The use of CVS_RSH="ssh" has finally resolved the
read-only access problem for CVS repository!

e.g. I use bash.

CVS_RSH="ssh"
export CVS_RSH
cvs -z 9 -d :ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/gcc update
The authenticity of host 'savannah.gnu.org (199.232.41.3)' can't be
established.
RSA key fingerprint is 80:5a:b0:0c:ec:93:66:29:49:7e:04:2b:fd:ba:2c:d5.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added 'savannah.gnu.org,199.232.41.3' (RSA) to the
list of known hosts.
? check-num-percent.awk
? check-num-percent.sh
? typescript
    ... it is updating the local CVS source file finally! ...

(I DID apply for write access as Zack suggested, though.)

I should have known that the timing when my access began failing
was conincidental to the report of server(s) broken into, but
didn't realize / connect that I now needed "ssh" as the
underlying transport. Now come to think of it, it makes sense, but
it took me so long to update my local tree :-(

Thank you for pointing out this necessary step.

But I wonder now.

How many people WITHOUT CVS write commit priviledge have
tried the current CVS gcc source   *IF* they don't know
how to obtain it?

Does savannah.gnu.org host keep log of anoncvs login?
If so, I suspect the record would show that
the number of anonymous login might have
dropped drastically for the last 1.5 months.

Since there are dedicated people running the self-build of
GCC source tree, etc., I think the testing is at least done
with minimal assurance, but the testing against diverse
source may not have happened as it had done prior to the
switch to "ssh"-based access in the last 1.5 months.

Just a thought.

--

@ 2004-01-21 18:16         ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2004-01-21 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Kelley Cook wrote:
> Does this version address your concerns?

Yes, thanks.  Just a minor tweak:

!      will check out both modules in our cvs repository.&nbsp;

Omit "Issue" or replace it by "Issuing" or something along these
lines, and please use "CVS" in uppercase.

Please commit the patch with these changes. Thanks,
Gerald