* [objc-improvements-branch] About to start ObjC++
@ 2004-01-20 19:24 Ziemowit Laski
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ziemowit Laski @ 2004-01-20 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss-gnustep, gcc list; +Cc: Compiler Group

Hello,

This is just a friendly heads-up that the objc-improvements-branch,
previously used to integrate Apple's ObjC fixes into the mainline,
shall henceforth be used to develop the Objective-C++ front-end,
to be integrated into mailine 3.5 upon completion.

Once objc-improvements-branch becomes even minimally usable, I'll
send out another notice so that folks can try it out.

Thanks,

--Zem
Ziemowit Laski                 1 Infinite Loop, MS 301-2K
Mac OS X Compiler Group        Cupertino, CA USA  95014-2083
Apple Computer, Inc.           +1.408.974.6229  Fax .5477

* Re: [objc-improvements-branch] About to start ObjC++
@ 2004-01-21  0:51 Dara Hazeghi
From: Dara Hazeghi @ 2004-01-21  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aperez; +Cc: zlaski, gcc

> I actually don't mind the idea of ObjC, although > I
will probably only  use it
> minimistically..what I take issue with,
> specifically, is the fact  that
> you have carte blanche control over anything
> objc related in GCC, and  you
> act like a lord, dictating what will happen and >
when, instead of  working with people.

I don't like to butt into threads like this, but what
is the problem here? We explicitly allow developers to
create branches on which they specify the check-in
criteria. We do this precisely for occurrences like
this, to develop or integrate a specific feature.
Would it help us if Zem just sent in a single massive
patch to gcc-patches, and nobody got a chance to
test/comment on the code before it gets reviewed and
merged onto mainline?

In any case, rather than hurling around accusationas,
if there are specific patches/issues you'd like
addressed, perhaps you could specify what they are?
Cheers,

Dara