* machine files from 2.95 to 3.2.3
@ 2004-03-23  7:38 Feranando Roberto Secco
From: Feranando Roberto Secco @ 2004-03-23  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello,
 I have a gcc 2.95 cross compiler for a specific architeture and I want
 to upgrade it to gcc 3.2.3 .

 What do I have to change in the target files  in order to
 make the 2.95 files compatible with 3.2.3 files?
 Is it possible are they compatible?

thanks in advance

* Re: machine files from 2.95 to 3.2.3
@ 2004-03-30  5:59 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2004-03-30  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Feranando Roberto Secco; +Cc: gcc

Feranando Roberto Secco wrote:
> What do I have to change in the target files  in order to
> make the 2.95 files compatible with 3.2.3 files?
> Is it possible are they compatible?

It is very unlikely that they will work as is.  You will have to change
some stuff.  We don't maintain lists of what needs to change.  Most of
the stuff should be obvious, e.g. you define a macro that is now
poisoned, and you have to change the port to use the new macro that
replaced the poisoned one.  Most of the trouble is likely to be with the
target .h file.  There should be little in the md file that needs to be
changed.

There may be style issues that you miss with a naive port, since
sometimes there are multiple ways to solve a problem, with the old ones
obsoleted but not yet removed.  For instance, there is now a way to
define constants in the md file, and style dictates use of this.  There
is a new mechanism for describing hardware pipelines which is better
than the old one, but the old one is still present and still works.  Etc.