* gcc 3.4 build failed cygwin->i386-unknown-nto-qnx61
@ 2004-04-24 13:27 Ion Gaztañaga
From: Ion Gaztañaga @ 2004-04-24 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello to all,

 I don't know if this is the correct mailing list for this, so forgive me if
I'm doing wrong sending this.

I've downloaded gcc 3.4 and tried to make a cross compiler with latest
cygwin to qnx 6.1. Everything fine with binutils 2.14, but while building
gcc i receive an error after some building time:

>>  checking for main in -lm... configure: error: Link tests are not allowed
after GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES.

//*********** script begin ******************//

The build script is:

target=i386-unknown-nto-qnx6.1

basedir=`pwd`
dir=/usr/gcc

export PATH=$dir/bin:$PATH

rm -rf win32/$target
mkdir -p win32/$target
cd win32/$target

if $basedir/configure \
 --verbose \
 --srcdir=$basedir \
 --target=$target \
 --prefix=$dir \
 --exec-prefix=$dir \
 --with-local-prefix=$dir \
 --enable-languages=c,c++ \
then
else
 echo "Configure Failed!"
 exit 1
fi
rm -rf ${basedir}/win32/${target}/${target}
make all install

//*********** script end ******************//

Have I forgotten any necessary configuration option?

Thank you very much

Ion

* Re: gcc 3.4 build failed cygwin->i386-unknown-nto-qnx61
@ 2004-04-28  5:28 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2004-04-28  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ion Gaztañaga; +Cc: gcc

Ion Gaztañaga wrote:
>>> checking for main in -lm... configure: error: Link tests are not allowed
>>
> after GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES.

This is lacking context.  Where and when during the build process did
you get this error?  I am guessing it is during the build of one of the
target libraries, e.g. libstdc++.

Once you know the directory, you can look at the config.log file in that
directory to see what went wrong.

> if $basedir/configure \
>  --verbose \
>  --srcdir=$basedir \
>  --target=$target \
>  --prefix=$dir \
>  --exec-prefix=$dir \
>  --with-local-prefix=$dir \
>  --enable-languages=c,c++ \

You didn't specify any target headers or libraries.  Thus you won't be
able to build any libraries, such as libstdc++.  This may explain why
you got the GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES configure error.  The recommended
solution is to use the --with-sysroot configure option to specify where
the target system root is located.  The target system root should
contain the target's usr/lib, usr/include, etc.  See the install
documentation for more info.

It is also possible that some of the libraries haven't been ported to
your target.  libiberty for instance can be preconfigured for targets,
to avoid needing link tests at configure time.  See the configure.ac
file, and search for ${host}.  Note that for a target library, host
becomes the same as the target.

* Re: gcc 3.4 build failed cygwin->i386-unknown-nto-qnx61
@ 2004-04-28 16:45 Ion Gaztañaga
From: Ion Gaztañaga @ 2004-04-28 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Thank you very much Jim,

  Yes, you are right, it is building libstdc++. I will try to
use --with-sysroot conrigure option as you have pointed out. It is hard to
build a cross compiler for a newbie like me! I will try to read all the
documentation also.

  Just as a curiosity, native gcc 3.4 i386-pc-cygwin build works fine with
that script and it is the compiler I'm using to build the cross compiler.

Best regards,

Ion