* altivec still broken?!
@ 2004-04-27  0:56 Aldy Hernandez
From: Aldy Hernandez @ 2004-04-27  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, rth, bonzini

Paolo.

AltiVec is still broken after your changes to comptypes().  I thought
you were taking up rth's approach and finishing it up?

AltiVec needs fixing, be it by following Richard's advice or reverting
your patch.

Aldy

* Re: altivec still broken?!
@ 2004-04-27 11:07 ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2004-04-27 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

> AltiVec is still broken after your changes to comptypes().  I thought
> you were taking up rth's approach and finishing it up?

But it never got reviewed despite a ping.

Paolo

* Re: altivec still broken?!
@ 2004-04-27 11:55   ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2004-04-27 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> AltiVec is still broken after your changes to comptypes().  I thought
>> you were taking up rth's approach and finishing it up?
>
> But it never got reviewed despite a ping.
>
> Paolo

To be clear: that means, the change to comptypes() that would have fixed
PR/14899 until the rewrite, never got reviewed.

Paolo

* Re: altivec still broken?!
@ 2004-04-27 22:15   ` Aldy Hernandez
From: Aldy Hernandez @ 2004-04-27 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: gcc, rth

 >> AltiVec is still broken after your changes to comptypes().  I thought
 >> you were taking up rth's approach and finishing it up?

 > But it never got reviewed despite a ping.

I think rth had some issues with it being incomplete, but I'm not
sure.  Rth, can you elaborate?

* Re: altivec still broken?!
@ 2004-04-29 20:10 ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2004-04-29 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aldy Hernandez; +Cc: gcc, rth

I actually found a bug that is solved in my implementation of comptypes.
  It is a contrived example and it is in C++, but is indeed a bug.

1  template <class T> class X {
2  };
3
4  template <> class X<__ev64_opaque__> {
5  };
6
7  typedef int v2si __attribute__ ((vector_size (8)));
8
9  template <> class X<v2si> {
10 };

With my patch, this compiles.  With rth's proposed resolution
of comptypes for vector types, instead it gives a wrong error

/home/utente/aaa.c:9: error: redefinition of `class X<int __vector__>'
/home/utente/aaa.c:4: error: previous definition of `class X<int
__vector__>'

Paolo

* Re: altivec still broken?!
@ 2004-04-29 21:21   ` Ziemowit Laski
From: Ziemowit Laski @ 2004-04-29 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: gcc, Aldy Hernandez, rth

I suspect we may be in need of a target hook :-) for VECTOR_TYPE
comparison, since it appears that SPE and AltiVec (not to mention
MMX/SSE) may require different semantics in this regard.  A
one-size-fits-all approach for vectors may not be feasible.

My 2 zlotys,

--Zem

On 29 Apr 2004, at 10.02, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> I actually found a bug that is solved in my implementation of
> comptypes.  It is a contrived example and it is in C++, but is indeed
> a bug.
>
> 1  template <class T> class X {
> 2  };
> 3
> 4  template <> class X<__ev64_opaque__> {
> 5  };
> 6
> 7  typedef int v2si __attribute__ ((vector_size (8)));
> 8
> 9  template <> class X<v2si> {
> 10 };
>
> With my patch, this compiles.  With rth's proposed resolution
> of comptypes for vector types, instead it gives a wrong error
>
> /home/utente/aaa.c:9: error: redefinition of `class X<int __vector__>'
> /home/utente/aaa.c:4: error: previous definition of `class X<int
> __vector__>'
>
> Paolo

* Re: altivec still broken?!
@ 2004-04-30 10:56     ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2004-04-30 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ziemowit Laski; +Cc: gcc, Aldy Hernandez, rth

Ziemowit Laski wrote:
> I suspect we may be in need of a target hook :-) for VECTOR_TYPE
> comparison, since it appears that SPE and AltiVec (not to mention
> MMX/SSE) may require different semantics in this regard.  A
> one-size-fits-all approach for vectors may not be feasible.

Hmmm... this seems very much overkill...

The C++ example I posted is just a case in which we see the difference
between being the same type vs. having a default conversion.  Opaque
types are the same type as other opaque types, but have a default
conversion from and to all other vector types.

Paolo

* Re: altivec still broken?!
@ 2004-04-30 15:47     ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2004-04-30 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aldyh; +Cc: rth, gcc

> If so, why the change at all.  What code would it affect?

I just felt it was right this way... I did not know what code it would
affect, but I've now found an answer which I wrote in my other
message---template specialization---and in that case it fixes bugs.

Paolo

* Re: altivec still broken?!
@ 2004-04-30 15:32   ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2004-04-30 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: rth, gcc

       [not found] <HWXRPR$155B48652FCC799C9F3CD6AD93475DFB@libero.it>
@ 2004-04-29 16:39 ` aldyh
From: aldyh @ 2004-04-29 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: carlo.bonzini; +Cc: bonzini, rth, gcc

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 04:17:51PM +0200, carlo.bonzini@libero.it wrote:

(copying list)

> > Are you changing the behavior of opaque types?
>
> No, except with respect to __builtin_types_compatible_p, which does not happen
> anyway because AltiVec does not use them.

Let me see if I get this right...

You are changing the behavior of opaque types with respect to
__builtin_types_compatible_p?  If so, we don't really care about a
change in this functionality because SPE uses opaque types but does
NOT use __builtin_types_compatible_p.  So, nothing changes.

OTOH, if you change the behavior of opaque types wrt
__builtin_types_compatible_p, this doesn't affect AltiVec either
because AltiVec uses __builtin_types_compatible_p but does NOT use
opaque types.

Agreed?