* Branch for factoring?
@ 2004-04-29 12:47 Gábor Lóki
From: Gábor Lóki @ 2004-04-29 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

We started the implementation of various code factoring algorithms in
GCC aimed at serious code size reduction (with preliminary results as
high as 3%). See the current patches:

We will also present our work on the GCC summit:
http://www.gccsummit.org/2004/view_abstract.php?content_key=18

My question is, whether it is a good idea to start a development branch
for this work? How can it be arranged? Is there a need of cvs write
access? (Our copyright assignment has been filed).

Regards,
   GĂĄbor LĂłki

* Re: Branch for factoring?
@ 2004-04-30  9:47 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2004-04-30  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Lóki; +Cc: gcc

GĂĄbor LĂłki wrote:
> My question is, whether it is a good idea to start a development branch
> for this work? How can it be arranged? Is there a need of cvs write
> access? (Our copyright assignment has been filed).

Yes, you must have cvs write access.  Otherwise, there is no way for you
to create a branch and add patches to it.

Our policies for when it is OK to create branches are not well defined.
    Our docs just mention the mechanics, and don't mention policy at all.
   http://gcc.gnu.org/cvswrite.html#branches

Branches can be useful if there is general interest in a patch, as it
makes it easier for people at different places to collaberate.  This
seems to be primarily a U Szeged project, and there don't seem to be any
collaberators outside U Szeged.

Branches can be useful if the patches are large and invasive and need to
be maintained for a long time, which does not seem to be the case with
your patches at this time.

There is also the issue of whether it is OK to give someone write access
just so they can create a branch.  I don't think this is good policy.  I
think someone should establish themselves as a regular contributor
before they should consider making branches.  I am speaking for myself
here, and it is possible others will disagree.

There are other solutions here.  You can create your own CVS repository
that mirrors the FSF one.  You could maintain the work as patches.