* Release numbering
@ 2004-08-30  1:51 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2004-08-30  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I'd like to re-raise the issue of whether the next release should be
3.5 or 4.0.

There seems to be a fundamental disagreement here as to numberings.

Despite Mark just saying that "The tree-ssa changes are a huge perturbation",
he doesn't feel it's large enough to justify a move to 4.0 due to not having
enough user-visible changes.  A large number of other people on this list
agree with that view.

Others, including me, Robert Dewar and a different large number of people
on the list, feel that the internal changes are enough to justify the
version number change because we want to give users notice that this is
a major change.  The change in Fortran is also a large user-visible change.

We've been through this discussion on the list a number of times and have
not come to any conclusion.  I doubt we can, so I'm not suggesting we
start discussion on this size list.

However, I believe that this is a large enough issue that it should be
raised before the entire SC and see what conclusions they come to.
So I'd like to request that the SC take up this issue.

* Re: Release numbering
@ 2004-08-30 10:11 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2004-08-30 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phil; +Cc: gcc

    Trying to get the SC to hand down a 4.0 decision now will cause tension,
    fights, disagreement, plagues, etc.  Why not work together to create a
    release that we can agree is worthy of the name 4.0?  Why does it have to
    be forced through now?

Because the difference between the next release and this one will be *far*
less than between 3.4 and this one.  If people didn't feel this level of
changes merited "4.0", the next level certainly wouldn't.