* Re: GCC 3.4.2 Release Candidate Available
@ 2004-08-31 18:43 Harald Dunkel
From: Harald Dunkel @ 2004-08-31 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I tried to build it on Debian amd64(gcc-3.4), but there was
a problem at link time of gcc saying:

:
:
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libc.so when searching for -lc
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libc.a when searching for -lc
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [32/libgcc_s_32.so] Error 1

Probably thats expected. I read something about "a bug in
glibcs older than 2004-07-16" in a Changelog file. But
this must be a pretty serious problem if you drop compatibility.
Do you have any more information about this, e.g. a bug
report number, or something like this?

Many thanx

Harri

* Re: GCC 3.4.2 Release Candidate Available
@ 2004-08-31  4:28 Michael Chastain
From: Michael Chastain @ 2004-08-31  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, mark

[This is a weird time for me to be awake, but I'm under a bit of stress
 right now, and it soothes me to do this ...]

Mark Mitchell writes:
> Please perform testing by building directly from these sources,
> not from CVS, so that we can test our packaging.

Okay.  I am doing:

  foreach machine $(hp_test_drive_cluster)
    mkdir build install ; cd build
    /foo/bar/configure --prefix=/foo/bar/install
    make bootstrap
    make install
  done

I've run into several bootstrap errors, which I shall proceed to
file PR's for.

Michael

* GCC 3.4.2 Release Candidate Available
@ 2004-08-29 23:17 Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2004-08-29 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

The first GCC 3.4.2 release candidate is available from:

  ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/prerelease-3.4.2-20040829/

for testing.  Please perform testing by building directly from these
sources, not from CVS, so that we can test our packaging.

If you find problems that you think should hold up the release:

(1) Put them into Bugzilla in the usual way

(2) Add me to the CC: list for the PR

(3) Add a comment to the PR that indicates that you think this problem
    should hold up the release

In general, only problems that relate to generating incorrect code or
that prevent bootstrapping on popular platforms will result in holding
up the release.

Assuming no major problems are found, the final GCC 3.4.2 release will
be made in the next few days.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC