From: Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>
To: law@redhat.com
Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: GCC Status Report (2004-09-13)
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 06:28:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Jeffrey A Law wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 17:05, Mark Mitchell wrote:
>
>September 19
>

>* General compile-time performance improvements [Weinberg]
>
>Q. Presumably we can still also attack memory consumption
>   issues as well.    Right?
>
>The reason I ask is I have the first in what I expect will
>be a series of patches to start reducing memory consumption
>and bring more sense to our data structures.

Yes.  We have a pretty good sense that reducing memory usage correlates
with reducing compile time, and, of course, people do not infinite RAM
anyhow, so this is a resource we should use prudently.  The biggest
caveat is the one you have been raising recently: that touching pages
merely for the purpose of marking memory as free is by no means always a
win.  But, if you can make data structures smaller in the first place,
and just allocate less along the way, that's going to help.

So, yes, this is OK -- but please do use your judgement about the
prudence of attempting major overhauls.  The smaller the change (whether
in terms of lines of code or in terms of conceptual complexity) the
better, naturally.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC