From: Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com>
To: Tolga Dalman <ates100@web.de>
Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Fortran
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:46:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Tolga Dalman wrote:

>>So in fact to many people, it makes sense, especially say for
>>initial student introduction, to do these kind of translations.
>

> i do not agree to you: especially initial student introduction should aim
> towards developing in a common style. that is, every CS student in the world
> should learn the same thing, and (s)he should be able to find tons of
> information from the internet.
> i regard programming language keywords rather as symbols than words, that
> could be ever translated. but that's just my view ...

If you do not agree with me, you are saying that it is not the case
that this makes sense to many people. I think that is just plainly
wrong, there have been lots of efforts at such translation.

If you are disgreeing with the idea, as seems to be the case, then
you did not read my message clearly. I never gave my own opinion
on the subject! you don't know whether you agree with me on the
issue of translation, because I did not give my opinion, and do
not care to.

My point was that this is a perfectly reasonable thing to
pursue from a technical point of view if someone thinks
it is interesting to do, and I think it is more useful on
this list to be inclusive of all kinds of different
approaches and projects than to reject ideas you don't
like :-)