* Gcc mirros check
@ 2004-11-19 19:57 Luca Benini
From: Luca Benini @ 2004-11-19 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: gcc

Hi.
As you know i'm working on a script for checking gcc mirrors.
At the moment the scripts working fine for ftp mirrors than use the same
directory tree than gcc.gnu.org.
Http mirrors work, but need again some debug (next week?).
The problems are with site as
	ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/gcc/
where standard dir tree in non used.
For check status of these site i need to use timestamp of WHOLE gcc
distribution (timestamp obtained via ls -R ), but as you understand this
way require a big bandwidth from both side.
Well, what i must do?

1) drop mirror
2) mark mirror as non updated
3) mark mirros as "strange"

N.B.
In the last two week ftp://ring.crl.go.jp/pub/GNU/gcc/ was always down.
(Remove it?)

Bye

Luca Benini

* Re: Gcc mirros check
@ 2004-11-19 20:19 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2004-11-19 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lbenini; +Cc: gcc

> Well, what i must do?

If it were me, I'd send them an email asking why they're not mirroring
the structure.  And certainly they should be mirroring the MD5 files,
or people cannot validate the files they have.

If it were a djgpp mirror, they would get removed from the web page
because the script wouldn't find a valid mirror site there.  DJGPP has
to be strict because the online zip picker builds URLs to files at
these mirror sites, and if the structure is wrong, the URLs won't
work.

> In the last two week ftp://ring.crl.go.jp/pub/GNU/gcc/ was always down.
> (Remove it?)

Aside from emailing them (although the host name has no DNS entry, so
I don't think you can email them anyway)), some notes from djgpp's
system:

The master list of mirrors drives the script, the script builds the
web page.  If a mirror doesn't respond at all, it's taken off the web
page but stays in the master file.  That way, if they fix their
server, they show up on the web page again.

Plus, djgpp's master file stores an email contact address for each
mirror, which is only used for when I need to email them.

* Re: Gcc mirros check
@ 2004-11-30 19:44 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2004-11-30 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Benini; +Cc: DJ Delorie, gcc

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Luca Benini wrote:
> At the moment the scripts working fine for ftp mirrors than use the same
> directory tree than gcc.gnu.org.
> Http mirrors work, but need again some debug (next week?).
> The problems are with site as
> 	ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/gcc/
> where standard dir tree in non used.
> For check status of these site i need to use timestamp of WHOLE gcc
> distribution (timestamp obtained via ls -R ), but as you understand this
> way require a big bandwidth from both side.
> Well, what i must do?
>
> 1) drop mirror

Drop (after providing a warning).  Mirrors that do not really mirror us
potentially cause more confusion and troubles than they help.

> In the last two week ftp://ring.crl.go.jp/pub/GNU/gcc/ was always down.
> (Remove it?)

I have done link checks for our web site as a whole for some time and some
mirror sites (including this one, I believe), were always unreachable. It
seems that they only allow connections from specific IP ranges and/or
domain names (usually from the same country).

Gerald

* Re: Gcc mirros check
@ 2004-11-30 20:26   ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2004-11-30 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: Luca Benini, DJ Delorie, gcc

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 07:37:45PM +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Luca Benini wrote:
> > In the last two week ftp://ring.crl.go.jp/pub/GNU/gcc/ was always down.
> > (Remove it?)
>
> I have done link checks for our web site as a whole for some time and some
> mirror sites (including this one, I believe), were always unreachable. It
> seems that they only allow connections from specific IP ranges and/or
> domain names (usually from the same country).

If we include restricted-access mirrors, I think our list should mention
the restrictions.  But then we will need someone to verify that the
mirror is correct.

* Re: Gcc mirros check
@ 2004-12-01  8:10     ` Luca Benini
From: Luca Benini @ 2004-12-01  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Buck; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, DJ Delorie, gcc

Joe Buck wrote:
> If we include restricted-access mirrors, I think our list should mention
> the restrictions.  But then we will need someone to verify that the
> mirror is correct.

i've send mail to strange mirrors admins....
No anserw.
--
But how can I implement unimaginable chaos in my compiler?
				-Geerhardt Goos-