* Mention addition of TR1 to C++ for GCC-4.0.0
@ 2004-12-07 13:52 Ed Smith-Rowland
From: Ed Smith-Rowland @ 2004-12-07 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I think the addition of the TR1 template classes and algorithms (the
parts of Boost++ that have been ratified as an extension to C++ by ISO)
should be mentioned on the web page:
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.0/changes.html.

These additions are great news for me at least.

Ed Smith-Rowland

* Re: Mention addition of TR1 to C++ for GCC-4.0.0
@ 2004-12-07 13:59 ` chris jefferson
From: chris jefferson @ 2004-12-07 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Smith-Rowland; +Cc: gcc

Ed Smith-Rowland wrote:

> I think the addition of the TR1 template classes and algorithms (the
> parts of Boost++ that have been ratified as an extension to C++ by
> ISO) should be mentioned on the web page:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.0/changes.html.
>
> These additions are great news for me at least.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me will also reply to this
message, but it is important to note that at the moment (and I imagine
even in 4.0), only a portion of the TR1 has been implemented.

Also it will be important to note that the currently published TR1 is
not yet final, and I'm certain that some things will change before the
final release.

Chris

@ 2004-12-07 22:33   ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2004-12-07 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chris jefferson; +Cc: Ed Smith-Rowland, gcc

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 01:59:10PM +0000, chris jefferson wrote:
> Ed Smith-Rowland wrote:
>
> > I think the addition of the TR1 template classes and algorithms (the
> > parts of Boost++ that have been ratified as an extension to C++ by
> > ISO) should be mentioned on the web page:
> > http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.0/changes.html.
> >
> > These additions are great news for me at least.
> >
> I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me will also reply to this
> message, but it is important to note that at the moment (and I imagine
> even in 4.0), only a portion of the TR1 has been implemented.
>
> Also it will be important to note that the currently published TR1 is
> not yet final, and I'm certain that some things will change before the
> final release.

Nevertheless, we could use a note documenting the parts of TR1 that will
be in 4.0.0, how to use it, etc., and make sure to warn people that it is
experimental (meaning that the libstdc++ team makes no promises about
backward compatibility, so the users might have to revise their programs
later on should the committee make changes).

* Re: Mention addition of TR1 to C++ for GCC-4.0.0
@ 2004-12-07 22:38     ` Paolo Carlini
From: Paolo Carlini @ 2004-12-07 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Buck; +Cc: chris jefferson, Ed Smith-Rowland, gcc

Joe Buck wrote:

>Nevertheless, we could use a note documenting the parts of TR1 that will
>be in 4.0.0, how to use it, etc., and make sure to warn people that it is
>experimental (meaning that the libstdc++ team makes no promises about
>backward compatibility, so the users might have to revise their programs
>later on should the committee make changes).

I concur and would like to add that some facilities, like <tuple>
prepared by
Chris, are already rather close to the final form!

Paolo.