* gcc -m64  for Solaris10 x86
@ 2004-12-13 12:55 Guenter Feldmann
From: Guenter Feldmann @ 2004-12-13 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: fld

Hi

could any one explain what is needed to enable the 64-bit mode in
gcc for Solaris10 x86?

I tried
 configure  ... amd64-pc-solaris2.10
and
 configure  ... x86_64-pc-solaris2.10

in both cases
 make bootstrap
ended up in:

> [ ... ]
> checking for .preinit_array/.init_array/.fini_array support... no
> checking if mkdir takes one argument... no
> *** Configuration x86_64-pc-solaris2.10 not supported

-- Guenter

* Re: gcc -m64  for Solaris10 x86
@ 2004-12-13 16:11 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2004-12-13 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guenter Feldmann; +Cc: gcc, fld

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 01:55:20PM +0100, Guenter Feldmann wrote:
> Hi
>
> could any one explain what is needed to enable the 64-bit mode in
> gcc for Solaris10 x86?
>
> I tried
>  configure  ... amd64-pc-solaris2.10
> and
>  configure  ... x86_64-pc-solaris2.10
>
> in both cases
>  make bootstrap
> ended up in:
>
> > [ ... ]
> > checking for .preinit_array/.init_array/.fini_array support... no
> > checking if mkdir takes one argument... no
> > *** Configuration x86_64-pc-solaris2.10 not supported

It's i386-pc-solaris2.10.  However, you have to use a GCC 4.0 snapshot.
I think most or all of the patches are currently in the 4.0 tree, but
I'm not positive about that.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz

* Re: gcc -m64  for Solaris10 x86
@ 2004-12-13 17:16 ` Rainer Orth
From: Rainer Orth @ 2004-12-13 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guenter Feldmann; +Cc: gcc, fld

Guenter Feldmann <fld@informatik.uni-bremen.de> writes:

> could any one explain what is needed to enable the 64-bit mode in
> gcc for Solaris10 x86?
>
> I tried
>  configure  ... amd64-pc-solaris2.10
> and
>  configure  ... x86_64-pc-solaris2.10
>
> in both cases
>  make bootstrap
> ended up in:
>
> > [ ... ]
> > checking for .preinit_array/.init_array/.fini_array support... no
> > checking if mkdir takes one argument... no
> > *** Configuration x86_64-pc-solaris2.10 not supported

Nothing: just bootstrap on Solaris 10/x86 without specifying a specific
configuration triplet.  The resulting compiler will automatically support
amd64 code generation when specifying the -m64 option.  Note however that
you need to use a recent version of GNU as (from CVS binutils) for the
bootstrap to succeed.  You'll probably have to restrict yourself to C at
the moment: the 64-bit libstdc++ didn't build (at least as of a week ago).
Besides, there may be code generation bugs on mainline: building a 64-bit
lsof some time ago seems to have produced wrong code (though I haven't
investigate this in detail yet).

You may be better off with a modified version of GCC 3.4.3 from the
csl-sol210-3_4-branch branch documented in

	http://gcc.gnu.org/cvs.html

at the moment.  This compiler will be included in Solaris 10 build 73
(probably the next release of Solaris Express), btw.

	Rainer

Rainer Orth, Faculty of Technology, Bielefeld University

* Re: gcc -m64  for Solaris10 x86
@ 2004-12-13 22:08   ` Albert Chin
From: Albert Chin @ 2004-12-13 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 06:16:23PM +0100, Rainer Orth wrote:
> Nothing: just bootstrap on Solaris 10/x86 without specifying a specific
> configuration triplet.  The resulting compiler will automatically support
> amd64 code generation when specifying the -m64 option.  Note however that
> you need to use a recent version of GNU as (from CVS binutils) for the
> bootstrap to succeed.  You'll probably have to restrict yourself to C at
> the moment: the 64-bit libstdc++ didn't build (at least as of a week ago).
> Besides, there may be code generation bugs on mainline: building a 64-bit
> lsof some time ago seems to have produced wrong code (though I haven't
> investigate this in detail yet).

So GCC on Solaris 10/x86 will require GNU as? Why isn't
/usr/ccs/bin/as good enough?

--
albert chin (china@thewrittenword.com)

* Re: gcc -m64  for Solaris10 x86
@ 2004-12-14 12:34     ` Rainer Orth
From: Rainer Orth @ 2004-12-14 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Albert Chin <gcc@mlists.thewrittenword.com> writes:

> So GCC on Solaris 10/x86 will require GNU as? Why isn't
> /usr/ccs/bin/as good enough?

Some uses are just artifacts of the initial port than can easily be
avoided.  See the thread starting at

for an initial attempt to use Sun as instead.  I haven't found time yet to
further work on the open issues.

@ 2004-12-14 18:26       ` Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2004-12-14 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Orth; +Cc: gcc

Rainer Orth wrote:
> Albert Chin <gcc@mlists.thewrittenword.com> writes:
>

>>So GCC on Solaris 10/x86 will require GNU as? Why isn't
>>/usr/ccs/bin/as good enough?
>

> Some uses are just artifacts of the initial port than can easily be
> avoided.  See the thread starting at
>
> 	http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2004-11/msg00908.html
>
> for an initial attempt to use Sun as instead.  I haven't found time yet to
> further work on the open issues.

But, note that Sun itself intends to use GNU as with GCC -- and
encourage its customers to do the same.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC

* Re: gcc -m64  for Solaris10 x86
@ 2004-12-15 18:44         ` Rainer Orth
From: Rainer Orth @ 2004-12-15 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Mitchell; +Cc: gcc

Mark Mitchell writes:

> But, note that Sun itself intends to use GNU as with GCC -- and
> encourage its customers to do the same.

Probably because at that time neither their compiler nor the assembler were
ready for prime time.

	Rainer

* Re: gcc -m64  for Solaris10 x86
@ 2004-12-15 19:00           ` Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2004-12-15 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Orth; +Cc: gcc

Rainer Orth wrote:
> Mark Mitchell writes:
>

>>But, note that Sun itself intends to use GNU as with GCC -- and
>>encourage its customers to do the same.
>

> Probably because at that time neither their compiler nor the assembler were
> ready for prime time.

I can't speculate as to the reasons.

But, I honestly don't see much point in using GCC with Sun's assembler;
GAS is easily installed, and works fine.  It's not that I'd try to stop
anybody from making GCC work with Sun as; it's just that I don't
personally see much of an advantage.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC