* Will someone answear me?
@ 2005-01-08 16:03 Vladius
From: Vladius @ 2005-01-08 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

    Excuse me, everybody. I'm not trying to persuade anyone, but will
someone from moderators or GCC maintainers answear me?  I'm trying to
redesign GCC logotype, and I don't think it is a good idea to continue,
because few people respond and none of "officials" did ("New GCC
logotype version 1.6" topic.). It would be very nice of You to clarify,
that You don't like it at all or probably have other things to do. That
could stop me spending my time "flooding" the mail-list, and drawing. d:-)
    Thank You.

* Re: Will someone answear me?
@ 2005-01-11  5:40 ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2005-01-11  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladius; +Cc: gcc

Vladius wrote:

>    Excuse me, everybody. I'm not trying to persuade anyone, but will
> someone from moderators or GCC maintainers answear me?

I suspect most people doesn't really see the need for a new logo.
However, the SC is likely to follow if there is consesnsus on the list.

> I'm trying to
> redesign GCC logotype, and I don't think it is a good idea to continue,
> because few people respond and none of "officials" did ("New GCC
> logotype version 1.6" topic.). It would be very nice of You to clarify,
> that You don't like it at all or probably have other things to do. That
> could stop me spending my time "flooding" the mail-list, and drawing. d:-)

My personal comments on:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2005-01/msg00430.html

+ I don't see anything specifically relating to Gcc.

* It loks very dark, and with poor contrast.

* It doesn't like as "friendly" or "happy" as the currrent logo.

* It is more detailed and realistic than the current logo, but
it's not clear if that's an advantage.

* The horns look strange - like a turban.

I.e. don't think this is very promising.  And I don't have
time or inclination to follow up on this.
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: Will someone answear me?
@ 2005-01-11  5:46   ` Kaveh R. Ghazi
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Kaveh R. Ghazi @ 2005-01-11  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: boxforsr; +Cc: gcc, per

 >  > Excuse me, everybody. I'm not trying to persuade anyone, but will
 >  > someone from moderators or GCC maintainers answear me?
 >
 > I suspect most people doesn't really see the need for a new logo.
 > However, the SC is likely to follow if there is consesnsus on the
 > list.
 >
 >  > I'm trying to redesign GCC logotype, and I don't think it is a good
 >  > idea to continue, because few people respond and none of "officials"
 >  > did ("New GCC logotype version 1.6" topic.). It would be very nice of
 >  > You to clarify, that You don't like it at all or probably have other
 >  > things to do. That could stop me spending my time "flooding" the
 >  > mail-list, and drawing. d:-)

In addition to Per's comments, you should note the current logo
references the historical rift in the GCC community and its eventual
reunification.  (The GNU popping out of the egg.)  I myself and
perhaps others who went through that period with GCC, feel the logo
commemorates the difficulties we resolved and signifies a rebirth for
the compiler.

So while I respect your attempts at artistic expression, personally I
like the logo just the way it is.

		--Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi			ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu

* Re: Will someone answear me?
@ 2005-01-11  7:15     ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2005-01-11  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaveh R. Ghazi; +Cc: boxforsr, gcc, per

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 12:06:10AM -0500, Kaveh R. Ghazi wrote:
> In addition to Per's comments, you should note the current logo
> references the historical rift in the GCC community and its eventual
> reunification.  (The GNU popping out of the egg.)

And I'm biased, because I was the one who suggested the original design.
I wouldn't stand in the way if everyone wants to replace it, but I don't
see a pressing need.

* Re: Will someone answear me?
@ 2005-01-11 12:37   ` Vladius
From: Vladius @ 2005-01-11 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Bothner; +Cc: gcc

Per Bothner wrote:

> Vladius wrote:
>
>>    Excuse me, everybody. I'm not trying to persuade anyone, but will
>> someone from moderators or GCC maintainers answear me?
>

> I suspect most people doesn't really see the need for a new logo.
> However, the SC is likely to follow if there is consesnsus on the list.

    I do think that a new logo has to take its place =)

>> I'm trying to redesign GCC logotype, and I don't think it is a good
>> idea to continue, because few people respond and none of "officials"
>> did ("New GCC logotype version 1.6" topic.). It would be very nice of
>> You to clarify, that You don't like it at all or probably have other
>> things to do. That could stop me spending my time "flooding" the
>> mail-list, and drawing. d:-)
>

> My personal comments on:
>
> + I don't see anything specifically relating to Gcc.

    You should check out a newer version. It is titled "GCC".

> * It loks very dark, and with poor contrast.

    Seems that I completly don't understand You. It looks OK here. I
will see what can be made if some more people will post the same issue.

> * It doesn't like as "friendly" or "happy" as the currrent logo.

    I don't understand either.

> * It is more detailed and realistic than the current logo, but
> it's not clear if that's an advantage.

    Maybe.

> * The horns look strange - like a turban.

    You should check out real blue gnu look. You can see it on discovery
channel site, for example.

> I.e. don't think this is very promising.  And I don't have
> time or inclination to follow up on this.

    Anyway, I have to thank You for Your comments, since that is what I
wanted - to see if You like it or not.

* Re: Will someone answear me?
@ 2005-01-11 12:51     ` Vladius
From: Vladius @ 2005-01-11 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaveh R. Ghazi; +Cc: gcc

Kaveh R. Ghazi wrote:

> >  > Excuse me, everybody. I'm not trying to persuade anyone, but will
> >  > someone from moderators or GCC maintainers answear me?
> >
> > I suspect most people doesn't really see the need for a new logo.
> > However, the SC is likely to follow if there is consesnsus on the
> > list.
> >
> >  > I'm trying to redesign GCC logotype, and I don't think it is a good
> >  > idea to continue, because few people respond and none of "officials"
> >  > did ("New GCC logotype version 1.6" topic.). It would be very nice of
> >  > You to clarify, that You don't like it at all or probably have other
> >  > things to do. That could stop me spending my time "flooding" the
> >  > mail-list, and drawing. d:-)
>

>In addition to Per's comments, you should note the current logo
>references the historical rift in the GCC community and its eventual
>reunification.  (The GNU popping out of the egg.)  I myself and
>perhaps others who went through that period with GCC, feel the logo
>commemorates the difficulties we resolved and signifies a rebirth for
>the compiler.

    I respect that fact, that You had overcome many difficulties, but
according to You - there is nothing that can be changed at all. We all
have our past behind our shoulders, but that doesn't mean, that we can't
turn ourselves to future and something new.

>So while I respect your attempts at artistic expression, personally I
>like the logo just the way it is.

    This is a better one =). Yes, I see. I will notice that.

    Thank You for Your comments.

* Re: Will someone answear me?
@ 2005-01-11 12:55       ` Vladius
From: Vladius @ 2005-01-11 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Buck; +Cc: gcc

Joe Buck wrote:

>On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 12:06:10AM -0500, Kaveh R. Ghazi wrote:
>

>>In addition to Per's comments, you should note the current logo
>>references the historical rift in the GCC community and its eventual
>>reunification.  (The GNU popping out of the egg.)
>>

>And I'm biased, because I was the one who suggested the original design.
>I wouldn't stand in the way if everyone wants to replace it, but I don't
>see a pressing need.

    I didn't say that Your design was very bad. Yes, You are the creator
of the current logo, but that doesn't mean You can't post any comments,
righ?. What do You dislike in my version? How would You enchance it? Do
You have any new ideas in mind since You created Your version?

* Re: Will someone answear me?
@ 2005-01-11 14:10     ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2005-01-11 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaveh R. Ghazi; +Cc: boxforsr, gcc, per

"Kaveh R. Ghazi" <ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu> writes:

|  >  > Excuse me, everybody. I'm not trying to persuade anyone, but will
|  >  > someone from moderators or GCC maintainers answear me?
|  >
|  > I suspect most people doesn't really see the need for a new logo.
|  > However, the SC is likely to follow if there is consesnsus on the
|  > list.
|  >
|  >  > I'm trying to redesign GCC logotype, and I don't think it is a good
|  >  > idea to continue, because few people respond and none of "officials"
|  >  > did ("New GCC logotype version 1.6" topic.). It would be very nice of
|  >  > You to clarify, that You don't like it at all or probably have other
|  >  > things to do. That could stop me spending my time "flooding" the
|  >  > mail-list, and drawing. d:-)
|

| In addition to Per's comments, you should note the current logo
| references the historical rift in the GCC community and its eventual
| reunification.  (The GNU popping out of the egg.)  I myself and
| perhaps others who went through that period with GCC, feel the logo
| commemorates the difficulties we resolved and signifies a rebirth for
| the compiler.

Indeed.

| So while I respect your attempts at artistic expression, personally I
| like the logo just the way it is.

I think I like the current logo as it is.

-- Gaby

* Re: Will someone answear me?
@ 2005-01-11 14:24         ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2005-01-11 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladius; +Cc: Joe Buck, gcc

Vladius <boxforsr@inbox.ru> writes:

| Joe Buck wrote:
|
| >On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 12:06:10AM -0500, Kaveh R. Ghazi wrote:
| >
| >>In addition to Per's comments, you should note the current logo
| >>references the historical rift in the GCC community and its eventual
| >>reunification.  (The GNU popping out of the egg.)
| >>

| >And I'm biased, because I was the one who suggested the original design.
| >I wouldn't stand in the way if everyone wants to replace it, but I don't
| >see a pressing need.
| >
|     I didn't say that Your design was very bad. Yes, You are the
| creator of the current logo, but that doesn't mean You can't post any
| comments, righ?. What do You dislike in my version? How would You
| enchance it? Do You have any new ideas in mind since You created Your
| version?

I think the question isn't whether one dislike your your logo.

Personnally, beside the fact that I prefer the current logo I do not
see the need to invest efforts into debating other logos :-)
That might not be the comments you'd like to hear but that is the one I
can offer. Sorry.

-- Gaby

* Re: Will someone answear me?
@ 2005-01-11 14:30           ` Vladius
From: Vladius @ 2005-01-11 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Dos Reis; +Cc: gcc

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

>Vladius <boxforsr@inbox.ru> writes:
>
>| Joe Buck wrote:

>| >And I'm biased, because I was the one who suggested the original design.
>| >I wouldn't stand in the way if everyone wants to replace it, but I don't
>| >see a pressing need.
>| >
>|     I didn't say that Your design was very bad. Yes, You are the
>| creator of the current logo, but that doesn't mean You can't post any
>| comments, righ?. What do You dislike in my version? How would You
>| enchance it? Do You have any new ideas in mind since You created Your
>| version?
>
>I think the question isn't whether one dislike your your logo.
>
>Personnally, beside the fact that I prefer the current logo I do not
>see the need to invest efforts into debating other logos :-)
>That might not be the comments you'd like to hear but that is the one I
>can offer. Sorry.

    Sorry? For what? Oh, it's ok =) Good comment. You prefer current
logo - that is the idea.  That is the thing to check in.

* Re: Will someone answear me?
@ 2005-01-11 14:52             ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2005-01-11 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladius; +Cc: Gabriel Dos Reis, gcc

To me, the issue of redesigning the logo should start with
a discussion of the objectives:

1. Is a new logo required? (lots' of people think not it seems)

2. If so, what is the objective of redesign. This is more of a
(pardon the word) commercial issue than an artistic issue.

Until these two points are addressed, artistic redesign seems
premature to me.

* Re: Will someone answear me?
@ 2005-01-13 21:32       ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2005-01-13 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaveh R. Ghazi, Joe Buck; +Cc: boxforsr, gcc

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Kaveh R. Ghazi wrote:
> So while I respect your attempts at artistic expression, personally I
> like the logo just the way it is.

I think we should differentiate between the logo in principle, and the
specific "implementation".

It seems that many of us do like the message of the current logo, but
I also believe that the design could be tweaked/ improved.  The drafts
Vladius has sent so far, though, more are artistic drawings (and some
of them nice at that) rather than a logo.

Gerald

* Re: Will someone answear me?
@ 2005-01-13 22:41         ` Vladius
From: Vladius @ 2005-01-13 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: gcc

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Kaveh R. Ghazi wrote:
>

>>So while I respect your attempts at artistic expression, personally I
>>like the logo just the way it is.
>>

>I think we should differentiate between the logo in principle, and the
>specific "implementation".
>
>It seems that many of us do like the message of the current logo, but
>I also believe that the design could be tweaked/ improved.  The drafts
>Vladius has sent so far, though, more are artistic drawings (and some
>of them nice at that) rather than a logo.

    Thank You, Gerald. I really think I've made a mistake with it. It is
more like a picture but not logo. I agree with that. Does anyone have a
webspace for me to show some _logo_ concepts and post links here? It
would be very nice of You.
    Thank You.