* Mac OS X Panther to Tiger Build Changes for GCC 3.3 and 3.4
@ 2005-06-01  3:11 Dan Allen
From: Dan Allen @ 2005-06-01  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I tried doing bootstrap builds of GCC 3.3.6 and GCC 3.4.4 but these
builds fail due to the absence of the 'c++filt' tool.  I noticed in
the libiberty Makefile that there is some comment about this tool
being moved to a different binutils package, which I have not
installed on my machine.

I used the core-release files as well as the full release files and
did the following:

1.  unpack sources with bunzip2 and gnutar
2.  cd into dir
3.  mkdir build
4.  cd build
5.  ../configure
6.  make bootstrap

The builds proceed for quite awhile until they hit this missing 'c+
+filt' tool problem.

These builds were done on an Apple Power Macintosh G5 Dual 2GHz
machine running Mac OS X 10.4.1 Tiger and Apple's standard Xcode 2
development tools which I guess are now missing c++filt.

I previously have done bootstrap builds of earlier versions of GCC
3.3 and GCC 3.4 and they have built successfully under Mac OS X
10.3.9 Panther.

GCC 4.0 builds fine on 10.4.1 Tiger without this problem, so whatever
small fix was made to GCC 4.0 probably could be made to 3.3.6 and
3.4.4 to get them to build, but I have not taken the time to track
this problem down further.

Dan Allen
N39°59.8' W111°45.4'

* Re: Mac OS X Panther to Tiger Build Changes for GCC 3.3 and 3.4
@ 2005-06-01 17:29 ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2005-06-01 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Allen; +Cc: gcc

On Tuesday, May 31, 2005, at 08:11  PM, Dan Allen wrote:
> I tried doing bootstrap builds of GCC 3.3.6 and GCC 3.4.4 but these
> builds fail due to the absence of the 'c++filt' tool.

mrs $ type c++filt
c++filt is /usr/bin/c++filt

> The builds proceed for quite awhile until they hit this missing
> 'c++filt' tool problem.

Since you don't cut and paste what you saw, it makes it hard for me to
guess/comment.

Anyway, I guess I would just recommend using 4.0 and ignoring the older
releases if you can..  :-(

* Re: Mac OS X Panther to Tiger Build Changes for GCC 3.3 and 3.4
@ 2005-06-02  2:02   ` Peter O'Gorman
From: Peter O'Gorman @ 2005-06-02  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stump; +Cc: Dan Allen, gcc

* Re: Mac OS X Panther to Tiger Build Changes for GCC 3.3 and 3.4
@ 2005-06-02  3:39     ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2005-06-02  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter O'Gorman; +Cc: Dan Allen, gcc

On Wednesday, June 1, 2005, at 07:01  PM, Peter O'Gorman wrote:
> I think he has to, as far as I know the changes to use libSystemStubs
> on
> tiger were never backported to 3.4 and 3.3.

If one uses fink to install the older compiler, it just works.  :-(

* Re: Mac OS X Panther to Tiger Build Changes for GCC 3.3 and 3.4
@ 2005-06-02  4:12       ` Peter O'Gorman
From: Peter O'Gorman @ 2005-06-02  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stump; +Cc: Dan Allen, gcc

Mike Stump wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 1, 2005, at 07:01  PM, Peter O'Gorman wrote:
>
>> I think he has to, as far as I know the changes to use libSystemStubs on
>> tiger were never backported to 3.4 and 3.3.
>

> If one uses fink to install the older compiler, it just works.  :-(

Fink patched their g77 package for tiger. As long as nobody uses assert()
they'll be fine :/

  peter$ cat foo.c
#include <assert.h>

int foo(const char * str)
{
   assert(str);
   return 1;
}
imac:~ peter$ /opt/gcc3.4/bin/gcc  -dynamiclib -o libfoo1.dylib foo.c
ld: Undefined symbols:
_fprintf$LDBLStub
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed

Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman - http://www.pogma.com