* Hi I want to implement new target AVR MCU's for GCC
@ 2005-08-17 22:37 Rikard S
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Rikard S @ 2005-08-17 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Where do I start?
I guess there is only some few files that I need to write or edit,
using files for similar MCU's as "templates".

If I would like to implement new AVR targets, which files are involved?

Who knows, maby I can contribute :-)

/Best Regards Rikard Strömmer

* Re: Hi I want to implement new target AVR MCU's for GCC
@ 2005-08-17 22:45 ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2005-08-17 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rikard S; +Cc: gcc

On Aug 17, 2005, at 3:09 PM, Rikard S wrote:
> Where do I start?

I'd start by using cvs and checking out the source code from mainline
and then fire up emacs.

> I guess there is only some few files that I need to write or edit,
> using files for similar MCU's as "templates".

Yes...

> If I would like to implement new AVR targets, which files are
> involved?

gcc/config/avr would be the canonical place to go looking for files
to edit.

* Re: Hi I want to implement new target AVR MCU's for GCC
@ 2005-08-17 22:45 ` N V Krishna
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: N V Krishna @ 2005-08-17 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rikard S; +Cc: gcc

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN, Size: 445 bytes --]

Avr-gcc has it's own list as well:
avr-gcc-list@nongnu.org

You can try there as well.

Krishna.

#

@ 2005-08-18  7:25 ` Abhijit Gupta
From: Abhijit Gupta @ 2005-08-18  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rikard S; +Cc: gcc

On 8/18/05, Rikard S <rikardcore@gmail.com> wrote:
> Where do I start?

Read the top of http://gcc.gnu.org/readings.html there's Hans-Peter
Nilsson's "Porting GCC for Dunces"
A good document to start with.

> I guess there is only some few files that I need to write or edit,
> using files for similar MCU's as "templates".
>
> If I would like to implement new AVR targets, which files are involved?

You need to write the target.md , target.h and target.c files with
some makefile fragment in the gcc/config/<target> directory.

> Who knows, maby I can contribute :-)
:-)
Regards,
Abhijit.

> /Best Regards Rikard Strömmer

* Re: Hi I want to implement new target AVR MCU's for GCC
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-08-18 11:25 ` E. Weddington
From: E. Weddington @ 2005-08-18 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rikard S; +Cc: gcc, Marek Michalkiewicz, Denis Chertykov

Rikard S wrote:

>Where do I start?
>I guess there is only some few files that I need to write or edit,
>using files for similar MCU's as "templates".
>
>If I would like to implement new AVR targets, which files are involved?
>
>Who knows, maby I can contribute :-)
>
>/Best Regards Rikard Strömmer

Please note that the avr-libc project has all of the developers working
on the AVR port of the GNU toolchain. avr-libc can be found at Savannah at:
<http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/avr-libc>

If you would like to implement new devices in the AVR target then be
aware that:
- you will have to modify GNU Binutils, GCC, and avr-libc.
- and that your device may already be implemented. The avr-libc Patch
Manager has a number of patches already that implement a lot of new
devices. We've been waiting for one of the AVR maintainers of GCC (in
the CC list) to find the time to formally commit them to Binutils or GCC.

If you want more information about the AVR target, I would suggest
getting on the avr-libc-dev mailing list (part of the avr-libc project
at Savannah).

Eric Weddington