* cout Issue
@ 2009-05-12  6:33 Arthur Schwarz
From: Arthur Schwarz @ 2009-05-12  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Program and particulars below.

When line 27 is commented out, line 26 is output. When line 27 is not commented, line 26 is not output except that if x.file contains a line feed the null line line 26 & line 27 are output. If x.file does not contain a line feed, only line 27 is output.

Does the line feed have an effect on the 'cout <<' of line 26 of the program?

Note. The code is awful and this is an example.

art

g++-4 (GCC) 4.3.2 20080827 (beta) 2

x.cpp

      1 # include <ios>
      2 # include <iomanip>
      3 # include <fstream>
      4 # include <iostream>
      5 # include <sstream>
      6
      7 using namespace std;
      8
      9 ifstream  x("x.file", ios::in);
     10
     11 struct y {
     12   double a;
     13   double b;
     14 } yNot;
     15
     16 int main(int argc, char** argv) {
     17   char  Line[512];
     18   long  LineNo = 0;
     19   while ( !x.eof() ) {
     20      LineNo++;
     21      x.getline(Line, 512);
     22      istringstream Phfft(Line);
     23        yNot.a = -1;
     24        yNot.b = -2;
     25        Phfft >> yNot.a >> yNot.b;
     26        cout << setw(4) << LineNo << ": " << Line;
     27        cout << "   a:" << yNot.a << "  b:" << yNot.b;
     28      cout << endl;
     29   }
     30   return 0;
     31 }

x.file
1 2<lf>
<nada>

* Re: cout Issue
@ 2009-05-12  8:32 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2009-05-12  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Schwarz; +Cc: gcc

2009/5/12 Arthur Schwarz:

> Program and particulars below.
>
> When line 27 is commented out, line 26 is output. When line 27 is not commented, line 26 is not output except that if x.file contains a line feed the null line line 26 & line 27 are output. If x.file does not contain a line feed, only line 27 is output.
>
> Does the line feed have an effect on the 'cout <<' of line 26 of the program?
>
> Note. The code is awful and this is an example.

Hi Arthur,
This question is off-topic on this list as it has nothing to do with
development of gcc, the gcc-help list or a C++ forum would be better.

I would guess that your file has DOS-style line-endings so a
carriage-return is output after line 26, and line 27 is overwriting
the output of line 26.

Jonathan