* [gfortran] Second try: Problem parsing hexadecimal constants?
@ 2005-11-11 16:18 Ioannis E. Venetis
From: Ioannis E. Venetis @ 2005-11-11 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I sent this message about a week ago, but didn't get any response. So, I
try again. My question is whether this is a bug of gfortran and if I
should open a bug report about it. I haven't found this in Bugzilla.

Thank you!

Dear all,

Firstly, let me say that I don't know that much about Fortran, but I use
a source-code transformation tool that creates Fortran 77 code, which I
feed to gfortran.

During this last stage, gfortran seems to have some problems to parse
hexadecimal constants. I managed to reduce the problem to this very
simple code:

TEST.f:

PROGRAM HEX_TEST

INTEGER(4) MASK

MASK = 'c0'X

END

~ $ gfortran -c TEST.f
  In file TEST.f:5

       MASK = 'c0'X
      1
Error: Unclassifiable statement at (1)

If, however, I make the following change:

MASK = X'c0'

the program compiles correctly. I remember that I used this tool with
g77 too and that I had no problem. Either form of a hexadecimal constant
was accepted. The same holds for the Intel compiler.

Is this a bug of gfortran or some kind of extension that is not supported?

~ $ gfortran -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: i686-pc-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../gcc-4.0.2/configure
--prefix=/home/iev/apps/gcc-4.0.2 --enable-languages=c,c++,f95
--enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --disable-checking
--with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-libgcj --disable-nls
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.0.2

Best regards,

Ioannis

* Re: [gfortran] Second try: Problem parsing hexadecimal constants?
@ 2005-11-11 21:49 ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2005-11-11 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ioannis E. Venetis; +Cc: GCC Development

On Nov 11, 2005, at 8:18 AM, Ioannis E. Venetis wrote:
> I sent this message about a week ago, but didn't get any response.
> So, I try again.

Please don't.  Imagine this list is about 100x more costly than
filing a bug report, even if the bug report is wrong.

If you want to discuss what a valid fortran or not, try
comp.lang.fortran or some other forum.  In fact, all the gcc folks
that do fortran hang out on a completely different list than this
list, so you're not even close to being on the right list.

* Re: [gfortran] Second try: Problem parsing hexadecimal constants?
@ 2005-11-15  0:43 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2005-11-15  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ioannis E. Venetis; +Cc: gcc

Ioannis E. Venetis wrote:
> I sent this message about a week ago, but didn't get any response. So, I
> try again. My question is whether this is a bug of gfortran and if I
> should open a bug report about it. I haven't found this in Bugzilla.

Yes, go ahead and create a bug report, and mention that this is a
regression from f77.  This list is primarily for developers, not for
users, and hence isn't always "user friendly".  You won't always get an
answer to questions posted here.  Also, check out the fortran mailing
list mentioned on the gcc.gnu.org web site.
--
Jim Wilson, GNU Tools Support, http://www.specifix.com